Review Dental Care Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kimela

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
At the beginning of June I had a tooth ache and had to see the dentist pronto. I wasn’t surprised when he told me it needed a root canal (I’m familiar with this type of pain). I WAS surprised when he told me that I had another tooth that already had a root canal and an abscess and needed to be extracted – and ANOTHER tooth that was in the process of resorption (as I understand it, this means it was being absorbed by the surrounding bone – not common, but not alarming to them) and it also had to be extracted. What this meant was I’d need the root canal, two extractions, and then a crown and two fixed bridges (or implants – which I didn’t want to do because they take so much time to complete). After the extractions (one on each side of my face) and the root canal, I called the dentist to ask how much the crown would cost and they told me $2000. For ONE crown! So I contacted the dentist my husband went to in Cozumel for his crown back in March. They quoted me $2750 for ALL OF IT! A crown and two fixed bridges.

We already had a trip planned for July, so I made appointments to get the work done. My first appt was the day after we arrived. She had to grind down the teeth directly in front of and behind where the tooth had been extracted, to fit me for the fixed bridges. Also had to grind down the tooth for the crown. Then she made temporary bridges and a crown and I was set to come back 6 days later for the permanents.

There was one hiccup. The guy who was taking the molds to the lab was in a moto accident (he’s ok) and lost my molds, so I had to go back again for new molds. But I went back for my scheduled appt to get my permanent work placed.

Verdict: I LOVE the work she did. I already had a fixed bridge so I can compare the old work to the new work. I think it’s superior. She matched the color perfectly and the fit is great. I needed to go back for some polishing because it felt a little high on one side – no problem. She was off that day (saw her at the marina!) but her tech was able to take care of it. I highly recommend her. Also, I spoke with a local ex-pat who has been going to her for 15 years. You will get a better price if you pay cash versus credit card - even better if it's pesos versus US dollars (of course that could change as the exchange rate changes).

The dentist is Dental Care Cozumel and her name is Dr. Yazmin Ibrahim Alfie
dentalcarecoz@gmail.com
Ph. (987) 869 7857

I used her for a deep cleaning and plan to soon get a fixed bridge on one side and a crown replacement on the other.

dentalcarecoz@gmail.com
Ph. (987) 869 7857
That's where I go every year for cleanings and work. She and her crew are well regarded. I'll be there in a few weeks. I message them on FB.

Edit: They should fix that address. They are at the corner of 10th Ave and Calle 5.

i had a resorption here in the states. let's just say oral surgeon bone craft implant and 4500 later. i wouldn't have done it but it was a front tooth.

That's where I go every year for cleanings and work. She and her crew are well regarded. I'll be there in a few weeks. I message them on FB.

They should fix that address. They are at the corner of 20th Ave and Calle 5.

The corner of 10th Ave and Calle 5. You can see the street name on their building in street view.

The corner of 10th Ave and Calle 5. You can see the street name on their building in street view.
Ok, I sleep on 5th Ave, the cafe formally known as Los Otates is on 10th Ave, and they are on 15th Ave, I thought.

At the beginning of June I had a tooth ache and had to see the dentist pronto. I wasn’t surprised when he told me it needed a root canal (I’m familiar with this type of pain). I WAS surprised when he told me that I had another tooth that already had a root canal and an abscess and needed to be extracted – and ANOTHER tooth that was in the process of resorption (as I understand it, this means it was being absorbed by the surrounding bone – not common, but not alarming to them) and it also had to be extracted. What this meant was I’d need the root canal, two extractions, and then a crown and two fixed bridges (or implants – which I didn’t want to do because they take so much time to complete). After the extractions (one on each side of my face) and the root canal, I called the dentist to ask how much the crown would cost and they told me $2000. For ONE crown! So I contacted the dentist my husband went to in Cozumel for his crown back in March. They quoted me $2750 for ALL OF IT! A crown and two fixed bridges.

We already had a trip planned for July, so I made appointments to get the work done. My first appt was the day after we arrived. She had to grind down the teeth directly in front of and behind where the tooth had been extracted, to fit me for the fixed bridges. Also had to grind down the tooth for the crown. Then she made temporary bridges and a crown and I was set to come back 6 days later for the permanents.

There was one hiccup. The guy who was taking the molds to the lab was in a moto accident (he’s ok) and lost my molds, so I had to go back again for new molds. But I went back for my scheduled appt to get my permanent work placed.

Verdict: I LOVE the work she did. I already had a fixed bridge so I can compare the old work to the new work. I think it’s superior. She matched the color perfectly and the fit is great. I needed to go back for some polishing because it felt a little high on one side – no problem. She was off that day (saw her at the marina!) but her tech was able to take care of it. I highly recommend her. Also, I spoke with a local ex-pat who has been going to her for 15 years. You will get a better price if you pay cash versus credit card - even better if it's pesos versus US dollars (of course that could change as the exchange rate changes).

dentalcarecoz@gmail.com
Ph. (987) 869 7857
I have had a bridge and a crown done by Yasmin. A good dentist and a nice lady.

i had a resorption here in the states. let's just say oral surgeon bone craft implant and 4500 later. i wouldn't have done it but it was a front tooth.
Ouch! I don't know how I would handle a front tooth. Either way, you'd have to walk around without a tooth there for some time. Unless you found another way around it? I have a front bottom tooth that is dead - we discussed doing a crown rather than an implant because it's so prominent. :(

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom