Question Denote "Basic" forum posts more clearly?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tursiops

Marine Scientist and Master Instructor (retired)
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Example:
I did not notice it was new divers forum, apologies for derailing.
Too many people ignore the top-of-page markings that the thread is in Basic, or some other keep-it-simple-and-no-flamine zone.
Is it possible to change the post display (background color, border, font, ??) to something that makes this clearer on each post in the thread?

Example:

Too many people ignore the top-of-page markings that the thread is in Basic, or some other keep-it-simple-and-no-flamine zone.
Is it possible to change the post display (background color, border, font, ??) to something that makes this clearer on each post in the thread?
It would be nice if it was more visible, but that is not an excuse, I use generally "new post" view without much thinking, so, actual fault is on my side. To me, most helpful would be to distinguish the protected areas in that view perhaps with a color. Sometimes going slightly off topic a short while is not too bad imho, one just has to know when to end it.

Another solution would be to put a banner right above the edit box showing the forum you are posting to. Often you enter a thread not at the top of a page, scroll down to read, and then edit a comment, without ever seeing the forum you are in.

We looked into options for this when we did the ScubaBoard 2021 update. Unfortunately, this is the best we could come up with:

1685662170283.png

It would be nice if we could put a forum-dependent message for every new message or reply. I'll have to look back to see if I made this suggestion on the xenForo forum or not.

It would be nice if it was more visible, but that is not an excuse, I use generally "new post" view without much thinking, so, actual fault is on my side. To me, most helpful would be to distinguish the protected areas in that view perhaps with a color. Sometimes going slightly off topic a short while is not too bad imho, one just has to know when to end it.
I wasn't pinging on you particularly. I do it too. You use New Posts, I use What's New, either way the forum you are in is not in your face. Yeah, small diversions OT are inevitable, but many such diversions are there because people pay no attention to what forum they are in. This is particularly egregious in Basic.

• Bullseye!
Reactions: L13
Yeah I got banned from Accidents and Incidents for having a laugh by some genius with an axe to grind
Thing is Accidents and Incidents is full of geniuses, finding solutions without any facts, so best I stay out

It "might" not be too difficult for xenForo to add an option to repeat the header above the reply box like this mockup:

1685804835984.png

I frequently have a number of tabs open resulting in replying to the wrong thread and/or forgotten which forum it is in. It would also be nice to repeat the forum header including the subtitle above the New Thread option:

1685805717075.png

I can't tell you how many posts by new members we have to move from Site Support and Member's Picks just because they are at the top of the forum list and allows new threads.

Reactions: L13
It "might" not be too difficult for xenForo to add an option to repeat the header above the reply box like this mockup:

View attachment 786301

I frequently have a number of tabs open resulting in replying to the wrong thread and/or forgotten which forum it is in. It would also be nice to repeat the forum header including the subtitle above the New Thread option:

View attachment 786303

I can't tell you how many posts by new members we have to move from Site Support and Member's Picks just because they are at the top of the forum list and allows new threads.
I like this.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom