Denisegg's incident and near miss at Jackson Blue

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How about this?

I will let you know next week what the endocrinologist finds out about the test he ran today

Denisegg,

I am glad to hear that your medicals are all checking out. I do not believe that there is any tenable relationship between thyroid function (hyper or hypo) and IPE, but having your thyroid tuned will at least help you to regulate your body temperature during a dive.

Basically, IPE is a huge unknown. You should not be penalized for it as IPE is so poorly understood that you may have no greater a chance of recurring IPE than does the average diver.

Cave diving regularly seems to me an idyllic life. I hope that you can continue to pursue this.

Personal note: humans always try to understand "why." Very, very often there is no answer, especially when it comes to an organism as complex as the human body. Many will offer you snake oil - dietitians, holistic healers, etc.. If you feel that your desire to return to diving has left you vulnerable, beware the peddlers of snake oil.

You speak so truly. I have searched high and low...the cardiologists, pulmonaries, endocrinologists, general practitioners, internal medicine, regenerative medicine...to tell you the truth....no one has a clue.
Every doctor has passed me on to the next....
When "I" feel my body is ready, when it is past the weakness this experience has caused, when it has passed the volatility that excessive thyroid treatment has played havoc on my body, and when I believe that my own personal physical training has surpassed the test where mentally I feel competent to take on the task of once again enveloping the physical and mental challenges of slowly easing into cave diving by starting with OW, depth, then gradually descending into cavern, and once again cave, I will not take on the challenges that lie within that realm until I absolutely feel i am/if I am ready...

Last edited by a moderator:
Now that's one smart lady. No wonder they call you a Good Girl. :D

Crud! ... thanks Rick for the "It's a Small World" tune repeating endlessly in my head that I cant get rid of :shakehead:
Reminds me of an evil trick we do at work or on a camping trip .. just whistle a few notes of something like the Nat Geo theme music ... and then wait and see what happens :evil:

.... it works doesn't it :D :laughing:

Denise ... you are one smart lady :flowers:

Have to agree with you DB (as usual) not just smart but selfless taking us all along on this adventure. Most people would be focusing on their own pain and fears not helping others gain from such a harsh experience!:worship: she is GG indeed:flowers:

I received a call from the endocrinologist's office today. When I was released from the hospital he told me not to take the thyroid medicine any longer I had been prescribed by the other doctor and he would recheck me in one month. I was rechecked yesterday and my thyroid is normal. He still wants me to come for my follow up appointment next week but his nurse wanted to give me the good news.

I received a call from the endocrinologist's office today. When I was released from the hospital he told me not to take the thyroid medicine any longer I had been prescribed by the other doctor and he would recheck me in one month. I was rechecked yesterday and my thyroid is normal. He still wants me to come for my follow up appointment next week but his nurse wanted to give me the good news.

:yeahbaby: Whoooooot!!!!!! :cheerleader:

Yes!! You are so sweet Jax!! I now have a clean bill of health!

I forgot to mention yesterday how impressed my cardiologist was when I told him about this thread and how people from all over the world have reached out with their knowledge, wisdom and understanding. He asked me if it was from people who knew about it or had had it happen to them. I told him no, it was an out pouring of concern, well wishes and information on anything that anyone had available regarding this phenomenon.
He told me he had continued to search and find that it happened to healthy people like me. I told him about the pod and the offers to dive with me, including people from the medical profession. He said he thought that was a wonderful idea and he asked me to keep him posted about my future diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom