Denied Air Fill Due to Not Safe Air Cert

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

because the same types of things often catch my father off guard as well, specifically like having to show your sea card before getting a fill or jumping into the water, since when my father began diving no one ever dreamed of an actually card in order to dive, you either learned what you were doing or you take your chances with death.
Again I disagree, banning sports in gym class like dodgeball or tag is an example of an overexeration of a remote possibility of danger in order to push upon children whatever their specific agenda may be.

The fact of the matter is that Diving, especially diving that involves a more serious understanding of actual physics and physiology such as deep dives or Ean dives, Tech etc. is actually a really really really easy way to get dead, all things considered. Just the same as is involved in Aviation, or Motorcycles, or Track days, or mountain climbing.
In diving its called a buddy check. BWRAF. Aviation when someone pushes a bad position to the point that it kills them its often due to 'getthereitis' or not filing a proper flight plan or ignoring the weight restrictions of your aircraft. in diving its called forgetting to plan your dive and dive your plan, or getting into something over your scope of training, like and overhead or enclosed environment, aka IFR flight.

Diving is dangerous, and most of the old timers or most experieinced divers are almost always the ones with the least amount of bull**** hanging off their BC's, the simplest setups and the most redudant backups.

Honeslty though, if you think refusing to work in a confined space with a large store of compressed 100% O2 a metal tank that's under 3k pounds of pressure all cramped up in a tiny room with what would conservatably be about 6-10 realstic ignition sources all around you for a lousy 7 bucks, I guess I have nothing to tell you.

That O2 is separated and compressed by a compressor which is relys on an ignition source of some kind to operate, There are outlets everywhere, metal tanks that fall onto metal tanks, we u/w strobe that burn out or burst etc. Theres a reason that o2 therapy requires an RX from a doc, and that as a FF and EMT we cant transport large tanks of O2 suppy ourselves nor can it travel by Air and it generally requires a hazmat plackard be displayed while underway on the road.

We can both agree that regular gas is pretty damn flammable right? and they let 16 year olds pump it, transport it and come in contact with it nearly every day, oxygen is still technically a prescribed drug or a hazardous material depending, its not a fear without merit

I dont think we call all agree. everything you have mentioned is divers not diving. divers kill not the sport. regular air i hazardous material because it is under preasure not because of the gas mix. air is not "pretty damn flamible". high O2 concentration contributes to flame. lets see <40% treat as air.

as long as that 16 yo has the training to pump i let him pump. would ii ask for his gas filling/blending card. nope. would i ask if i was getting trimix. maybe but probably not. would i check thier work. you bet ya.

New divers do carry more crap, once again the diver not diving. fashion not function.

O2 theropy is MEDICAL TREATMENT usng non standard gasses. Just like a drug it is not the drug that damages it is the user that causes the damage by iresponsible behavior.

Do you think that if it were really dangerous you could get life insurance. nope,,, at best not covered if death is by diving.

There is a lot to be said for the "OLD TIMERS" who did this stuff when it was a young sport. no one got me in to make a buck. my instructor made a portion of the 40 buck for the 6 week class, half of which was the "C-CARD) BC's did not exist. regular air either non or pepermint flavored was pumped. you did not need a card only a tank. people did not retire from sueing. O2 cleaning was not required for anything above 23.5%.

It is sad to see new divers subscribe to the philosophy of everything is dangerous and thus needs special everything to get by. $$$$$$$. If those who do treated walking across the street the same way as the diving scare they would still be holding thier momma's hand to cross. (for a fee of course)

Honeslty though, if you think refusing to work in a confined space with a large store of compressed 100% O2 a metal tank that's under 3k pounds of pressure all cramped up in a tiny room with what would conservatably be about 6-10 realstic ignition sources all around you for a lousy 7 bucks,

Sound like Midas Muffler to me, or the auto shop in the local High School, all the welding and cutting equipment. Never mind cutting out an exhaust system next to a plastic gas tank filled with 20+ gallons of 87 octane. In other words, its not as bad as you are making it out to be.

Sound like Midas Muffler to me, or the auto shop in the local High School, all the welding and cutting equipment. Never mind cutting out an exhaust system next to a plastic gas tank filled with 20+ gallons of 87 octane. In other words, its not as bad as you are making it out to be.

I back away when they light up the torch.

I dont think we call all agree. everything you have mentioned is divers not diving. divers kill not the sport. regular air i hazardous material because it is under preasure not because of the gas mix. air is not "pretty damn flamible". high O2 concentration contributes to flame. lets see <40% treat as air.

as long as that 16 yo has the training to pump i let him pump. would ii ask for his gas filling/blending card. nope. would i ask if i was getting trimix. maybe but probably not. would i check thier work. you bet ya.

New divers do carry more crap, once again the diver not diving. fashion not function.

O2 theropy is MEDICAL TREATMENT usng non standard gasses. Just like a drug it is not the drug that damages it is the user that causes the damage by iresponsible behavior.

Do you think that if it were really dangerous you could get life insurance. nope,,, at best not covered if death is by diving.

There is a lot to be said for the "OLD TIMERS" who did this stuff when it was a young sport. no one got me in to make a buck. my instructor made a portion of the 40 buck for the 6 week class, half of which was the "C-CARD) BC's did not exist. regular air either non or pepermint flavored was pumped. you did not need a card only a tank. people did not retire from sueing. O2 cleaning was not required for anything above 23.5%.

It is sad to see new divers subscribe to the philosophy of everything is dangerous and thus needs special everything to get by. $$$$$$$. If those who do treated walking across the street the same way as the diving scare they would still be holding thier momma's hand to cross. (for a fee of course)

You mean to say you don't have a street crossing cert card, ya gonna get run over.

Sorry by regular gas I was referring to gasoline not 21% o2. in other words gasoline is a very flammable substance that is virtually unregulated, 100% o2 on the other hand is very regulated because it is also extremely dangerous, often more-so.

Thats fine we can agree to disagree I meant no disrespect just a differing of opinion :cheers:. In all my years of 'dangerous stuff' I've never been given **** before by any of my peers about being "to safe". Thats just silly to me. If I'm too safe then so be it, getting dead sounds pretty crappy, I'm fine where i'm at and how I do things, and if someone doesn't feel comfortable messing with 100% O2 in an unregulated environment where the potential for fire and/or expolsion exists in order to fill a silly Steel 100 for a whoppng 7 bucks then I can respect that and I will chose to either voice my dissatisfaction with my wallet and take my business elsewhere or deal with there rules.:idk:

I get where your coming at with all the overrregulation and often non-issues that are propped up by diveshops or dive agencies in order to squeeze out a couple extra bucks, gd knows i've been taken by that nonsense before like most have at one time or another, but by now its pretty easy to spot from a mile away, and I usually tend to either call the shop owner on it as being BS and see how he responds, or like I said take my business elsewhere or otherwise.

Sean Bean in Ronin "whats wrong with you, you afraid of losing your own skin are you?
Deniro: "Ya I am, it covers my body." :wink::cheers::cheers:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom