Dema show???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

They issue DEMA faces from its tradeshow side is that it has two major factions, manufacturing/distribution and travel, to serve. As a former manufacturer, it was my opinion that my customer base was retailers and other distributors. The margins on my products were extremely low and volume is how we survived. Most, but not all, manufacturers, I believe share this opinion. This does not discount that the end customer, the diver, does not need to be addressed, but that is the responsibility of the retailer.

The dive travel segment, to a greater degree, is set up to serve both the retailer and end consumer. With their low margins, but higher price tag per individual sale, can talk/interface with the end consumer and be profitable. This seems to be acceptable to retailers, where if a manufacturer went direct, it would be the kiss of death as far as their retailers are concerned.

That sets up the problem. Manufacturers need to connect with high volume users of their products (retailers) and travel destinations can, generally, make a profit as both the wholesaler or retailer of their product. Manufacturers want a small, highly qualified audience where travel will take divers in general. This is a problem without a fix and has caused DEMA to lose its focus and weaken the show.

Just my opinion.

Lee,

I don't see why this is such a huge deal. Open the show to consumers for one extra day at the end of the show. Forbid ALL selling. If DEMA can't police their own show then they don't deserve to be running one. Punish people that break the rules and are caught selling.

Everybody wins.

I see both of your points. The lines that were so clear even five years ago have become way blurred and frankly, ScubaBoard has led the way in doing just that. In the not too distant past, your only connection with the manufacturer was through your LDS. Now you can sign on to ScubaBoard, go to our Q and A for Scuba Manufacturers and talk not with the LDS or a factory rep, but directly to the CEO or the director of development of that manufacturer. The diving consumer is becoming acquainted with the who's who of the dive industry and I believe that this has been a wonderful development for everyone involved. Look at White's Dry Suit. Their Fusion was designed right here on ScubaBoard. Listening to Paul talk about it's development is like listening to an info-mercial for ScubaBoard.

It's not happening just here either... we just happen to be the biggest (in case you hadn't noticed by now). This is pandemic to the internet, and all of these industries are being sucked into guerrilla marketing on the internet. Heck, you KNOW your competition is going to be doing it.

Maybe, at best, 20% of DEMA show attendees are real buyers. The rest are instructors, dive masters, asst. instructors, friends of store folks, random walk in's etc. We do not need any consumer show; we already have @ the present DEMA.

Lee,

I don't see why this is such a huge deal. Open the show to consumers for one extra day at the end of the show. Forbid ALL selling. If DEMA can't police their own show then they don't deserve to be running one. Punish people that break the rules and are caught selling.

Everybody wins.

Go back in my posts. DEMA cannot open the show to the public. The hall rental costs will explode. I've tried to explain that. This is not a simple problem. You cannot just open the shown to the public without a major financial impact to the show.

Go back in my posts. DEMA cannot open the show to the public. The hall rental costs will explode. I've tried to explain that. This is not a simple problem. You cannot just open the shown to the public without a major financial impact to the show.

I am lost, as an international visitor attending shows all over the world, I find it interesting to hear about this premium costing on "consumer shows", which, I must say, dosnt really make sense, well not to me anyway.!:D

Why would an exhibition hall charge more to have a consumer show than a trade only show Leadking.?

Surely, the hall costs XYZ to rent for a period, what would be their reason to feel its necessary to charge more for a consumer show as opposed to a trade show?.

Last edited:
Surely, the hall costs XYZ to rent for a period, what would be their reason to feel its necessary to charge more for a consumer show as opposed to a trade show?.
With out a doubt, exhibition halls are notorious for not only over charging, but for downright extortion. A 20 amp hook up at DEMA costs $400 for the four days. We found it cheaper to pay for a YEAR of wireless broadband than for on site internet for each computer. Chairs cost a $100/ea and tables are stupid expensive. I think my booth already is costing me $3500 this year BEFORE we add in those little extras. This has NOTHING at all to do with DEMA, BTW and they won't turn on the AC on the day of set up. They are shysters and I resent their intrusion into my life.

I am lost, as an international visitor attending shows all over the world, I find it interesting to hear about this premium costing on "consumer shows", which, I must say, dosnt really make sense, well not to me anyway.!:D

Why would an exhibition hall charge more to have a consumer show than a trade only show Leadking.?

I'd be interested in knowing the answer to this question too.

Tobin

With out a doubt, exhibition halls are notorious for not only over charging, but for downright extortion. A 20 amp hook up at DEMA costs $400 for the four days. We found it cheaper to pay for a YEAR of wireless broadband than for on site internet for each computer. Chairs cost a $100/ea and tables are stupid expensive. I think my booth already is costing me $3500 this year BEFORE we add in those little extras. This has NOTHING at all to do with DEMA, BTW and they won't turn on the AC on the day of set up. They are shysters and I resent their intrusion into my life.

The assertion has been made that the "drayage" fees are negotiated on a show by show basis, and can include a "kickback" to the show promoter.

I don't know if this is true, but if this is common practice it would follow that such policies might extend to any of the "decorator" items, power, Internet, furniture.

I'd love to know if this is actually the case. It is the perfect "dodge" for the show promoter. The exhibitors complain about getting overcharged and the promoters shrug their shoulders and blame it on the unions.

Tobin

I am lost, as an international visitor attending shows all over the world, I find it interesting to hear about this premium costing on "consumer shows", which, I must say, doesn't really make sense, well not to me anyway.!:D

Unless the business model has changed, there is no xyz price. The price changes depending upon the use of the facility. DEMA gets a "discounted rate" because as a trade association its' event is considered an educational show. Most venues are operated by the local governments of the city in which the DEMA show is located in. The economic benefit of a national show, from their perspective, is what is called "heads on beds", attendees renting hotel rooms, dining out, and local entertainment. Their business model includes the additional revenue this brings into the community. A consumer show, they view, is a local event. Locals come and attend but do not add much additional value to the local economy.

This is econ 101. I don't make the rules or necessarily agree with them, I'm just telling you the way it is. Ask the questions and I will give you the facts.

Last edited:
Unless the business model has changed, there is no xyz price. The price changes depending upon the use of the facility. DEMA gets a discounted rate" because as a trade association its' event is considered an "educational show. Most venues are operated by the local governments of the city in which the DEMA show is located in. The economic benefit of a national show, from their perspective, is what is called "heads on beds", attendees renting hotel rooms, dining out, and local entertainment. Their business model includes the additional revenue this brings into the community. A consumer show, they view, is a local event. Locals come and attend but do not add much additional value to the local economy.

This is econ 101. I don't make the rules or necessarily agree with them, I'm just telling you the way it is. Ask the questions and I will give you the truth.

Thanks Lee. Once you get government involved in pricing anything simple, rational models (like how much does it cost to actually operate the exhibition hall) no longer need apply. :wink:

Tobin

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom