DEMA review in Undercurrents

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Spratman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Interested in some feedback about Ben's article

I received my first copy of Undercurrents and burned through it in a hour or so. Lots of great information, but what was interesting to me was Ben's experience at the DEMA show, and his opinion on a fading sport.

It certainly would not surprise me if recreational scuba diving was dying off, primarily because I usually get involved at the tail end of things.

However, I was wondering about if the sport was really dying, remaining static, or increasing only because of how many agencies are now involved with instruction. I've always wanted to dive but could never afford it, plus being in the Army didn't always put you by the ocean.

I finally got certified in Nov. in Cancun, and it was more than I expected. Now, I'm looking to buy dive equipment, but am still recovering from sticker shock at the LDS. My point with this is, that the major manufacturers are not gearing equipment that is safe and affordable to younger divers. My LDS doesn't list prices, and doesn't display much gear, particularly regs. When I tried to get a ball park figure for my equipment, I'm sure the guy was giving me off the cuff pricing, given it was SO HIGH! I'm going to be 51 and am looking at $3500 in equipment. My 13 year old son want to get certified, but that is another $600 and equipment rentals for the dive....

I can understand the DEMA show losing participants, because this happens in many industries, but is it really because diving is for the older, empty nesters? Is there any attempts to put more young people in?

And lastly, I believe a really big problem is that many LDS's are still trying to work on the original business model. I've tried to talk to my LDS owner about a web page and getting information out. He lists a phone number on PADI's website and no voice mail. Nothing to indicate when he is open, which is a problem, given his hours.

If anyone thinks this is drivel, forgive me. I really want to get more involved in diving, but why bother spending the money if it's on it's way out.

Jack from PA

Why should you, as an individual, care if diving is growing, static or declining? You will be able to buy gear, find buddies and dive. Diving is fun, so I'll continue even if I'm the last one doing it. Even if everyone else stops diving, it will still be easier to get equipment, fill tanks and get to dive sites than it was in the 50's and 60's. OTOH, that's not likely to happen.

jbliesath:
Interested in some feedback about Ben's article

I received my first copy of Undercurrents and burned through it in a hour or so. Lots of great information, but what was interesting to me was Ben's experience at the DEMA show, and his opinion on a fading sport.

I didn't get that from the article at all. I got the same opinion about DEMA dying. Which from talking to several shop owners and reps, may not be a bad idea. DEMA is rapidly becomming a failure. It isn't doing what it is supposed to do. (Who's fault is that?)

However, I was wondering about if the sport was really dying, remaining static, or increasing only because of how many agencies are now involved with instruction.

I finally got certified in Nov. in Cancun, and it was more than I expected. Now, I'm looking to buy dive equipment, but am still recovering from sticker shock at the LDS. My point with this is, that the major manufacturers are not gearing equipment that is safe and affordable to younger divers. My LDS doesn't list prices, and doesn't display much gear, particularly regs. When I tried to get a ball park figure for my equipment, I'm sure the guy was giving me off the cuff pricing, given it was SO HIGH! I'm going to be 51 and am looking at $3500 in equipment. My 13 year old son want to get certified, but that is another $600 and equipment rentals for the dive....

There are plenty of opportunities for less expensive equipment. This is an equipment intensive sport. You can rent or you can buy. If you buy and dive the return on your investment is quicker. If you buy and it sits in your closet and gathers dust, there is no return. Congrats on the recent certification. Bring your son. Any sport that a father can participate in with his son is a good idea in my opinion.

I can understand the DEMA show losing participants, because this happens in many industries, but is it really because diving is for the older, empty nesters? Is there any attempts to put more young people in?

Some organizations are working harder at the child market than others
Look at Scuab Explorer posts in the Boy Scouts as an example.

And lastly, I believe a really big problem is that many LDS's are still trying to work on the original business model. I've tried to talk to my LDS owner about a web page and getting information out. He lists a phone number on PADI's website and no voice mail. Nothing to indicate when he is open, which is a problem, given his hours.

If anyone thinks this is drivel, forgive me. I really want to get more involved in diving, but why bother spending the money if it's on it's way out.

Jack from PA

I agree with you totally here. Too many shop owners are trying to operate on a business model that is rapidly dying. The MFR's are still trying to make sure that business model is being used by handcuffing the owners.

SCUBA is not dying. Its growing. Hollywood isn't helping much, but its growing.

TwoBit

Marty Snyderman has a really nice article in February's Dive Training mag about the Golden age of diving being now.

Nice read.

TwoBit

Thanks to both you and Walter for the responses.

I guess the sentence that struck me the most was "The complex issues facing the dive industry are impacted by the effects of the internet and how we do business, the aging population of divers, and a less interested younger population..."

One can read any of number of things into that sentence. As I said, I'm a new guy and love the sport. But OTOH, if there are fewer and fewer of us that dive, then on scales of economy, the price will go up.

Thanks for the tip on Dive Training. Another mag I read cover to cover.

Jack

I do not have a copy of Undercurrents but I did go to DEMA. A lot of the old time divers called it "DEMA LITE". We kidded each other and said it should be called the DEMA TRAVEL SHOW. Most of the major diving companies didn't show up for various reasons. The true test of DEMA will be the Las Vegas show this year. They need to settle the differences and put on a good show. Las Vegas has the advantage that Houston didn't by providing so many other points of entertainment. If the show stinks then you'll find me at the Golden Nugget playing blackjack ............. I'll be the one with the Scubapro50 hat on at the table.

SCUBA, like many other outdoor sports, has to compete with readily available video games, DVDs, cable TV, and junk food to get kids off their collective butts.

IF there is no appeal, the kids won't try it. Rollerblading, skateboarding, mountain biking, hiking, etc... all outdoor sports. All less expensive options for the younger generation. My passion for diving has transferred into my daughter and one of my nephews. These will be my legacies for the sport.

TwoBit

Quite a good analogy. But with the sudden boom in "extreme sports", I would think that diving would be right up there. Again, it's down to the $$'s. It will be up to individual divers to continue to propagate the sport.

I'm sure that Vegas will make a big difference since there is much more to do and see. It's sorta like COMDEX. There are two shows. The one in Vegas gets the biggest draw. I reckon maybe the politics of the sport should be of less interest, but the people at the bottom will need to make the difference. Right now, it's internet sales that they claim are killing the LDS's.

Honestly, the big reason I don't buy from LP or ScubaToys is that I think an off the rack is not going to fit correctly. A guy let me try a Akona 6.5 farmer john setup. It's a 3x. I think the jacket fit well, but the 3x bottom was too big in the hips. Same goes for the BC, I want to make sure that it will work for 7mm suits as well at a 3mm for warm water.

Most of you guys with experience already know what sizing you require. I just want to do it right the first time.

Jack

TwoBitTxn:
SCUBA, like many other outdoor sports, has to compete with readily available video games, DVDs, cable TV, and junk food to get kids off their collective butts.

IF there is no appeal, the kids won't try it. Rollerblading, skateboarding, mountain biking, hiking, etc... all outdoor sports. All less expensive options for the younger generation. My passion for diving has transferred into my daughter and one of my nephews. These will be my legacies for the sport.

TwoBit

I don't know about the rest of the country, but diving is certainly not dying in Florida. I am a college student, my dive class was put together by a local dive shop at the request of the University. There were between 12-16 of us in the class. Of those I was one of the oldest at 24. We have a fairly large and active dive club, between 50-100 members, most age 18-25. Of the dives I do outside of the University there is a complete spectrum, but no bias to an older demographic.

$600 +equipment for OW training seems a little high. You may want to check out other LDSs in the area. I hope I don't start a flame for saying this, but you may also want to consider buying online. I try to support my LDS when I can, but I am PCS (poor college student). Many of my friends order online, probably a higher percentage than those on this board, and they have never had a problem. If DEMA is dying, it is probably just the old system making way for the new. Fear not the future. In my field of study I have seen many companies, conferences, trade shows, etc... come and go. The field is still here.

Hollywood... I actually think it is helping. Hollywood lives by the motto that if you don't have anything nice to say you make a movie. People know this. I was too young when Jaws hit to know what impact it may have had. But, in my experience, "Open Water" had the effect of drawing more people into diving. Because of all the hype, I had several friends ask me questions about diving. In the end three people that had never considered diving are now happily blowing bubbles.

I doubt diving will every be classified as an "Extreme" sport. For one, there is no room for mistakes. In rollerblading, skateboarding, etc... there is no real training required. You can just buy the equipment and try to "pull off a move" until you get it. Diving requires training and some semblance of intelligence. Extreme sports are about doing stupid things, at high speeds, to impress people. Unless you are shooting to the surface, and the awaiting DCS hit, you are not moving fast in diving. Oh yeah, all that and diving it not competitive. Regardless of how competitive/macho/whatever we try to be on the surface, that ends the second we hear "Dive, Dive, Dive!"

Wow, that was a bit of a rant. I have got to get back in the water. :-D

I sure wish my life insurance agent agreed with you about diving not being an extreme sport. I admitted I was a diver. I doubt I will admit I am getting into tech diving.

TwoBit

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom