Delrin or SS slide for weight bearing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

khacken

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am rigging a harness and I was wondering what is better when the slide is used to make a loop that will be weight bearing? The delrin or SS slide? I am not going Hog harness, so please limit the discussion to whether delrin or SS is better. If neither can handle the weight, then I will have it custom sewn to my specs.

It would depend on the weight you intend to place against it. Overall, I would choose stainless.

I have broken Delrin pieces, I have yet to break a stainless. They will break just not at as high a rate in my experience.

Thickness could be a second consideration. Delrin is generally twice as thick as stainless. If place in the wrong spot, that lump you feel may be a consideration.

I agree with Hallmac that stainless is the better way to go, but I doubt that the plastic slides you are talking about are delrin. Delrin is very hard, stiff, and is usually brittle (meaning it will break before it permanently deforms, at least in thicker sections). Plastic weight belt slides are generally made of ABS or something more flexible than delrin.

But since the stainless is probably 10 times stronger than the plastic, even at half the thickness it's still a far better choice for weight-bearing applications.

D

Update: I had to go with the plastic slides as the ss slides were just too much of a pain to work with.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom