Delrin DIN Cap Recommendation?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Marek K

Contributor
Reaction score
I've just switched the family's regs over from yoke to 300-bar DIN. I'm looking at the caps that came with the DIN fittings, and I'm not sure I'm happy.

There was a thread a while ago about "dust caps" and rinsing 1st stages. I don't really want to go over whether to rinse pressurized or not; I don't have that option. So I need caps that will keep water out of the inlet.

The Mares DIN fitting comes with a soft rubber cap that extends all the way down the threading. Stays on real well, but I don't know how well it seals the inlet.

The Sherwood DIN fitting is the opposite; also soft rubber, but it's very short -- doesn't go over the threading at all. I think it would seal better, not being over the threading; but it keep falling off. Not good.

What are your recommendations for well-sealing caps? I see a lot of Delrin threaded caps available on-line -- they all look pretty much the same, for around $10. But do they seal well? Like, do the have o-rings? Do they need o-rings with the o-ring already on the DIN fitting?

--Marek

I have one of these for my reg and have been very satisfied with it. It has no o-ring, it simply uses the o-ring on the reg to seal. I usually set my reg in to soak with only the cap in place and have never gotten water into the reg. As long as the cap seals against the reg o-ring, I can thing of no good reason why it should have an o-ring of its own.

crab:
I have one of these for my reg and have been very satisfied with it. It has no o-ring, it simply uses the o-ring on the reg to seal. I usually set my reg in to soak with only the cap in place and have never gotten water into the reg. As long as the cap seals against the reg o-ring, I can thing of no good reason why it should have an o-ring of its own.
Yeah, that's pretty much the kind I've been seeing.

I think the problem would be that the DIN fitting's o-ring wouldn't actually hit the bottom of the cap; there's that round flange sticking up beyond the o-ring.

But I guess if it screws down securely and "bottoms out" -- preventing water from seeping past the threading and into the inlet -- that would be watertight enough...

--Marek

Marek K:
I think the problem would be that the DIN fitting's o-ring wouldn't actually hit the bottom of the cap; there's that round flange sticking up beyond the o-ring.
They have a hole in the bottom of them approx 1/4 inch deep to accomodate the flange on the DIN fitting. So the o-ring does seat against the cap and will keep the internal parts of the reg air tight. The threads themselves are not protected from moisture but then they are not water tight either when on the tank valve.

They are a good cap, protect the threads from dirt and damage in the dive bag and will not fall off accidentally. And you can mate them with the plug from the tank valve and store them together while you are diving to keep them both clean.

Hey marek,
I have bought very nice caps that incorporate an O-ring in a LDS in Germany. They screw on very tightly and work very well. They are being sold in almost every shop in Germany and costed me 5 years ago roughly 7-8 DM, which would make it about 7-8 Euro nowdays :frown:
I'll post a pic this evening.

aquaoren:
Hey marek,
I have bought very nice caps that incorporate an O-ring in a LDS in Germany. They screw on very tightly and work very well. They are being sold in almost every shop in Germany and costed me 5 years ago roughly 7-8 DM, which would make it about 7-8 Euro nowdays :frown:
I'll post a pic this evening.
Hey Oren--

My being in Poland, that would actually be good... the dive shops here seem to get their stuff from distributors in Germany. Which may mean that the caps you're talking about would be available here.

I've just been hoping to find them mail-order from the States, which would probably wind up cheaper knowing the prices here vs. at home -- and the exchange rate these days.

Um, again, exactly what is it that the o-ring in your cap seals against? That small circular raised flange ath the center of the fitting around the inlet? Or maybe against the metal rim of the fitting, outside the fitting's o-ring? I'm having a tough time visualizing this... :06:

--Marek

Now what about me here in the US???

MARK,

I have a half a dozen I bought off Ebay. There are two different listing on there today
The O-ring on your 1st stage will seal out the water. I soak my regs and have never found any water in the 1st stages. They will run about $5-$6 ea. after shipping and handling.

I have used their DIN plugs on eight tanks and they have worked with no problem. The tank plugs are not completely sealed and when a valve has been accidentally opened it didn't shoot across the room like a missle.

Marek K:
Hey Oren--

My being in Poland, that would actually be good... the dive shops here seem to get their stuff from distributors in Germany. Which may mean that the caps you're talking about would be available here.

I've just been hoping to find them mail-order from the States, which would probably wind up cheaper knowing the prices here vs. at home -- and the exchange rate these days.

Um, again, exactly what is it that the o-ring in your cap seals against? That small circular raised flange ath the center of the fitting around the inlet? Or maybe against the metal rim of the fitting, outside the fitting's o-ring? I'm having a tough time visualizing this... :06:

--Marek
This is the plug I was talking about. As you can see, it is a little shorter than the others. It has an O-ring incorporated thad seals to the first stage O-ring. I removed the O-ring in one of the pictures so you can have an idea.
Hope it helps :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom