Delray Beach Sewage Discharge

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't know about the permit dates or the specifics of the discharge, but just the other day the local news did a special about an algae bloom, that was damaging palm beach reefs. I wonder if it is the same type of algae, and if there is a connection. Either way i signed the petition. Someone stands to make a significant profit from the discharge, i figure the least we can do is stir some stuff up before they get their way.

OneBrightGator:
I recently got an e-mail from a friend and it reads somewhat like a "canned" letter, but it linked to this petition:

http://www.petitiononline.com/lyngbya/

Can anyone vouch for the validity of this petition?

The petion is valid, Ed Tichner is the driving force behind this project. Here is a copy of the report the petition is based on. I helped with some of it, as did Brian C. who I suspect is in the source path of the e-mail you received.

Don't you get tired of the same old dives, same old critters, same old clear viz? Wouldn't it be great to have some conditions like our northern brethern who dive in dark and stinky quarries? Just think of the added incentive for divers to control their buoyancy - is that donkey kong sea cucumber really marine life or is it a product of the outflow?

Woohoooo! I'm signature # 130 !!!!!!!!

thank you for posting. 130 sigs? How many people are on this board? I dont know why more people dont care more than they do. Alot of people like to ***** and pretend to care though....

they will come....... they will sign..... these are not just divers, these are ScubaBoard divers!

Seems to me the petition was posted on SB a week or two ago, kinda obscure, new member's first post. Hadn't spotted it since so it mighta been pulled(?)

I -did- sign on the petition and passed it onto my local contacts at Surfrider Foundation (a Great org that does local water quality testing and defends public beach access).

I'm not too crazy about these so-called "treated" sewage outpours,
especially since I've seen wonderful things like tampons come floating up from em.

SFLDiver:
Seems to me the petition was posted on SB a week or two ago, kinda obscure, new member's first post. Hadn't spotted it since so it mighta been pulled(?)
why on earth would something so important get pulled? Ocean divers really love our reefs and speaking for myself, I will do whatever I have to in order to protect them... If it got pulled (huge injustice to divers) I hope there was some sort of mistake! It's not like a thong or something. :eyebrow:

I don't think there is anything new regarding these outfall pipelines. There is one just North of the Boca Inlet and another just South of the Hillsboro Inlet.

Personally I think it would be a stretch to blame them for the algal growth on the reefs. If we are talking the red algae which drapes the reefs like tinsel, you find that pretty close to shore.

About 3 weekends back my wife and I were diving off a friend's boat off Boca. We were in about 70 feet of water on the outside edge of the 3rd reef. A very, very nice dive with some steep edges. Near the end of the dive the viz went from about 70 ft to maybe 5 ft. The water was like pea soup and the temp went up about 10 degrees. Yuck ! We swam back out of it and got out of the water. If they only discharge every so often I wouldn't mind a heads up on the nightly news when they talk about tomorrow's conditions.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom