Delray Beach Sewage Discharge

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey gang,

I was contacted about a week or so ago by some of the boat operators we use in south florida regarding this petition. Our shop is behind this totally, we have a stack of signatures. These outflows are damaging the reef to the point that we will all be diving rock beds and sand flats in a few years. All they are asking is for them to move the pipes farther offshore, and I dont see why it is such a big deal. Other then the cost of laying the pipe. Let us not forget that the reefs are the sarting point of the entire food chain. Kill it -- we kill ourselves!

Shane

lhpdiver:
I don't think there is anything new regarding these outfall pipelines. There is one just North of the Boca Inlet and another just South of the Hillsboro Inlet.

Personally I think it would be a stretch to blame them for the algal growth on the reefs. If we are talking the red algae which drapes the reefs like tinsel, you find that pretty close to shore.

About 3 weekends back my wife and I were diving off a friend's boat off Boca. We were in about 70 feet of water on the outside edge of the 3rd reef. A very, very nice dive with some steep edges. Near the end of the dive the viz went from about 70 ft to maybe 5 ft. The water was like pea soup and the temp went up about 10 degrees. Yuck ! We swam back out of it and got out of the water. If they only discharge every so often I wouldn't mind a heads up on the nightly news when they talk about tomorrow's conditions.

And here in lies the nucleus of the problem, IMO. Peole that accept this and think it is okay - and only want a heads up so they dont swim in ****. It is far from okay. They have no business dumping sewage in the ocean. Why cant they treat it like the rest of the counties and use it for reclaimed for lawns, as an example? I certainly dont know the details of the infastructure - but they may keep doing it becuase it has been that way for years and years and they see it as too costly to "re-pipe"?.? Either way, as long as people are silent about it, it will continue - regardless of any negative impacts.

MB:
Don't you get tired of the same old dives, same old critters, same old clear viz? Wouldn't it be great to have some conditions like our northern brethern who dive in dark and stinky quarries? Just think of the added incentive for divers to control their buoyancy - is that donkey kong sea cucumber really marine life or is it a product of the outflow?

Actually... The outfall is a pretty remarkabe dive. On days when there's little current it is quite interesting to hang mid-water and watch all the activity. Pulling samples was a little gross, but if you stay out of the plume it's quite breathtaking.

lhpdiver:
I don't think there is anything new regarding these outfall pipelines. There is one just North of the Boca Inlet and another just South of the Hillsboro Inlet.

Personally I think it would be a stretch to blame them for the algal growth on the reefs. If we are talking the red algae which drapes the reefs like tinsel, you find that pretty close to shore.

About 3 weekends back my wife and I were diving off a friend's boat off Boca. We were in about 70 feet of water on the outside edge of the 3rd reef. A very, very nice dive with some steep edges. Near the end of the dive the viz went from about 70 ft to maybe 5 ft. The water was like pea soup and the temp went up about 10 degrees. Yuck ! We swam back out of it and got out of the water. If they only discharge every so often I wouldn't mind a heads up on the nightly news when they talk about tomorrow's conditions.

The red algae that you're referring to is actually a bacteria. It's growth is limited by the levels of phosphates in the water. The bacteria bloom was plotted on a map of the reef up here. It was a pretty convincing picture which pointed towards the outfall. Also when the EPA was called in and the municipality was forced to bring the phosphate levels back in spec the bloom disappeared almost immediately. There's a link earlier in this thread to the report.

Scubakevdm:
...On days when there's little current it is quite interesting to hang mid-water and watch all the activity...if you stay out of the plume it's quite breathtaking.
Uh huh - so is the Warhammer Maneuver...

Scubakevdm:
The petion is valid... snip... I helped with some of it, as did Brian C. ...snip.
Just wondering whether some large (maybe several acres large) patches of cold brownish water moving southward through Pompano and LBTS off the beach this Spring was related to this sewage? I though it might be fresh-water from the Intracoastal.

MikeJacobs:
Just wondering whether some large (maybe several acres large) patches of cold brownish water moving southward through Pompano and LBTS off the beach this Spring was related to this sewage? I though it might be fresh-water from the Intracoastal.

I'm sure it was Intracostal, the discharges aren't discernable more than about 100' away from the pipe.

From http://www.enn.com/today.html?id=7783

EPA Does About-Face, Won't Allow Partial Treatment at Sewage Plants in Storms

May 20, 2005 — By John Heilprin, Associated Press

WASHINGTON — The Environmental Protection Agency said Thursday it will not allow sewage treatment plants to skip a process for killing some disease-causing micro-organisms after heavy rains or snow melts. The decision reverses a plan proposed in November 2003.

If the EPA had adopted the policy, U.S. sewage plants might have avoided an estimated $90 billion or more in facility upgrades to allow for oxidation of pollutants in wastes after heavy rains. That lets microbes feed on organic materials, removing viruses and parasites.

The agency normally requires sewage to be treated using a three-step process. But during peak flows from storms, it routinely lets plants discharge a blend of fully and partially treated sewage. The agency had proposed letting that become the official policy for handling the huge volume of waste water that storms bring, but changed its mind after reviewing 98,000 public comments and the testimony at some congressional hearings.

"Blending is not a long-term solution," said Benjamin Grumbles, assistant administrator for the Office of Water. "Our goal is to reduce overflows and increase treatment of wastewater to protect human health and the environment."

Agency officials haven't decided what their National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System requirements should be for municipal wastewater treatment during wet weather. They said they were looking at "the most feasible approaches to treat wastewater and protect communities, upstream and downstream."

Before EPA's announcement, four House members -- Bart Stupak, D-Mich., E. Clay Shaw, R-Fla., Frank Pallone, D-N.J., Jeff Miller, R-Fla., -- had offered legislation to block the agency's 2003 proposal from taking effect.

Tiernan Sittenfeld, legislative director for the League of Conservation Voters, which supports the House measure, said EPA's reversal is "a victory for health" and will help ensure cleaner lakes, rivers and streams.

Aging sewer systems are designed to overflow from rain, each year discharging more than a trillion gallons of untreated sewage into waterways that raise the chance of waterborne disease outbreaks.

Researchers at Johns Hopkins University have said more than half the waterborne disease outbreaks in the United States the last half-century followed a period of extreme rainfall.

Source: Associated Press

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom