Dehydration - DCS - Peeing in WS?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thal,

Actually I agree with you.

I guess what annoys me is to watch some divers slug down bottle after bottle of water on a dive to keep from becoming "dehydrated" only to complain about urinating in their wet suits during a dive that lasts only 30 minutes or so.

That's all . . . .

Just one of those little things in life which is absolutely none of my business, but irritates me none the less.

the K

The Kraken:
Thal,

Actually I agree with you.

I guess what annoys me is to watch some divers slug down bottle after bottle of water on a dive to keep from becoming "dehydrated" only to complain about urinating in their wet suits during a dive that lasts only 30 minutes or so.

That's all . . . .

Just one of those little things in life which is absolutely none of my business, but irritates me none the less.

the K
Roger

What's wrong with peeing in your wet suit? It all disappears pretty quickly in the water. Your body also produces more urine when in the water. Also, I don't know how anyone could dive without peeing in their wetsuit. What's the big deal besides the psychological aversion?

Thalassamania:
My worry (and this is just me) is that I will ignore a little “cotton mouth” feeling when I’m salty anyway and thus dive poorly hydrated. I always been an advocate of the idea that the best place to store your water is in your body, not in your canteen.

I agree, I just don't want people to get caught up in the idea that if they don't drink huge amounts of water on their dive days that they will get DCS. A lot of people on this board preach about drinking 4 or 5 litres of water in the name of hydration to stave off DCS. Drinking that much water isn't likely to hurt anybody, but isn't necessary either, and often leads to the aforementioned complaining about peeing in the wetsuit

Cam

MookieMoose:
I agree, I just don't want people to get caught up in the idea that if they don't drink huge amounts of water on their dive days that they will get DCS. A lot of people on this board preach about drinking 4 or 5 litres of water in the name of hydration to stave off DCS. Drinking that much water isn't likely to hurt anybody, but isn't necessary either, and often leads to the aforementioned complaining about peeing in the wetsuit

Cam
I'm in complete agreement.

Holding the urine in could possibly be harmful. There have been cases of fainting when the stretch receptors located in the wall of the bladder are stimulat-ed and a vagal nerve reaction -- a decrease in heart rate, blood pressure, and a feeling of light-headedness occurs. Fainting underwater is risky to say the least.
from the August, 2005 issue of Undercurrent

Food (ahem) for thought.

Lehmann108:
What's wrong with peeing in your wet suit? It all disappears pretty quickly in the water. Your body also produces more urine when in the water. Also, I don't know how anyone could dive without peeing in their wetsuit. What's the big deal besides the psychological aversion?

Well, many people rent wet suits . . . . . . . :shakehead

the K

MookieMoose:

Cam

Well in MX its 85-90F and you've got a mammalian reflex ditching extra fluid during 1.5 hour dives. Hell yes I'm gonna be chugging 1.5+L of fluid at lunch.

Then again, I don't rent wetsuits...

All this talk of fluid intake but not many comments on Immersion and Thermal Diuresis? Where's the fun in that? :wink:

Water immersion and the kidney: implications for volume regulation
Epstein, 1984
RRR ID: 2983, PubMed ID: 6567431

As for input recommendations, there is really not much available.

[SIZE=-1]Preliminary Diet and Hydration Guidelines for Diving to Depths to 150 FSW.
[/SIZE]Doubt et. al., 1991
[SIZE=-1]RRR ID: 3777, NMRI [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]ADA236519[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Note- [/SIZE]"For exposures lasting longer than 3 h it is recommended that 500 ml of fluid be ingested per hour."
[SIZE=-1]
Sorry, no time to comment more... Enjoy!
[/SIZE]

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom