Definition of technical diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This comes up frequently. It's pretty simple. If you dive with a ceiling above you, be it hard (rock, or metal), or soft (a decompression obligation), you are doing a "technical dive."

Ice diving is possibly one exception of recreational overhead diving, but you are tethered directly to the surface. Some would argue that ice diving shouldn't be done without "proper" overhead training.

Who cares what a technical diver is?

As far as I'm concerned the term technical diver is just something the industry uses as an excuse not to teach most divers how to really dive.

recreational diving:

Diving where there is direct access to the surface at all times, max depth 40m/130', no decompression diving, nitrox upto 40%, in limited overhead environents 40m/130' linear distance from surface.

Tec diving: Any form of diving not included in the above, that involves selling your car in order to buy a truck to drag all your dive gear around in.

Who cares what a technical diver is?

well.... my wife :wink:

i have to admit that was good :wink:

cancun mark:
recreational diving:

Diving where there is direct access to the surface at all times, max depth 40m/130', no decompression diving, nitrox upto 40%, in limited overhead environents 40m/130' linear distance from surface.

Tec diving: Any form of diving not included in the above, that involves selling your car in order to buy a truck to drag all your dive gear around in.

LOL. I've been trying not to think about that. As my wife is also a diver, the space requirements to load up for a day of diving pretty much max out my poor car. What I want to know is, after you buy all the fancy-schmancy tec gear, how do you afford the truck?

:crafty: I understand exactly what you're talking about. I gave up on trying to stuff everything into the Tahoe and have taken the next step...

cancun mark:

How about the use of specialized equipment, e.g., rebreathers?

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom