Define Over Breathing a Reg

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lightning Fish

Contributor
Reaction score
Hello:

I have a question? What exactly is the definition of over breathing a regulator? And what happens when a regulator is over breathed?

Thanks and cheers,
Bill.

Lightning Fish:
Hello:

I have a question? What exactly is the definition of over breathing a regulator? And what happens when a regulator is over breathed?

Thanks and cheers,
Bill.

I think this term have been used refered on a reg which is used beyond its capacity which means the diver (ers) demands more gas than the reg is able to deliver...this situation is very dangerous...i´ve heard about this situation from some divers using gear in a "no clear" condition or just overhauled....i have to say this is a VERY unusual situation and is a result to a VERY poor gear maintenance...another hipothetical situacion could be a deep diving with a non balanced regulator feed with a almost exhaust tank....

Overbreathing a reg simply means you are demanding more gas than you can get from the reg. This is felt as a percieved lag between the time you demand air and the time the reg delivers it. Regretably once this starts the anxiety level of the diver increases, so the air demand increases, which makes the feeling worse, which increases the demand... It's a nasty circle of feedback that often ends in a diver paniced or dead. Note that the reg is STILL providing air, it's just at a slower rate than you want it.

One of the causes is a bad reg design with small passages that restrict air flow at the rate you are demanding it. some low performance regs function fine at shaloow depths, and with relaxed divers. Taking them deep and then working hard fighting a current or fish will often result in overbreathing the reg. This is also the worst possible place and time for the problem

More commonly though this is caused by neglected maintenance or mistuning of an otherwise perfectly good reg. Partially clogged first stage filters are a common error leading to overbreathing.

FT

Ever overbreath your snorkel?
Was doing some tired diver tows for DM practice in choppy seas. Due to exertion, there was too much air demand for the snorkel to handle, felt like I was going to suffocate. And that was on the surface, would hate to feel that from a reg at depth.

JAG

jagfish:
Ever overbreath your snorkel?

LOL- Yes, I've had that sensation. I think that's caused by not taking deep enough breaths when you exert yourself. When you do this you're breathing the CO2 in the snorkel tube back in over and over again.

Besides everything written above i have to say that ALL regs have to assure more than enough gas needed by a diver in any condition...so in normal diving a regulator must perform better or worse but always HAVE to assure the minimal air flow required by the diver..this is a design feature..overbreathed regs are caused mostly by improper service or adjustments or more rarely out or range applications..( such as diving using a cheap non balance reg in a VERY deep diving with heavy work or something like this ).

FredT:
. Regretably once this starts the anxiety level of the diver increases, so the air demand increases, which makes the feeling worse, which increases the demand...

And, it's worth mentioning that this is primarily a physiological reaction, which means that this form of anxiety is difficult to control even if you're an experienced diver. Fortunately, we have forebrains. And octos. And buddies. :D

Overbreathing a reg is due to either poorly maintained gear or simple diver anxiety. The best way to deal with it is to relax and take deep even breaths and then figure out if the problem is you or your regulator.

Bad maintence is the main cause of this as has been said but just to cover the subject completely, it can happen for other reasons. I am part of a club that uses club kit for training Novices. Its never used below 20m and its serviced religiously every 12 months. However due to extreme old age :p and all that they have failed their EN 250 or whatever the standard is that requires that a reg can handle 60 litres/min at 6 bar i.e. 2 paniced/rattled dives breathing from one reg at 50m. Hence is these scenarios our old and worn out regs would be over breathe, but its not down to poor maintence just general wear and tear and the age of the regs.

S

Back
Top Bottom