Deet and other pesticides hurting the reef?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

To criticise an organisation for not combating other terrestrial issues shows a lack of understanding with regard to its purpose.
Actually Will, I think you seem to have missed the point. I understand you are up against the Ropes with many issues so why does the marine park get involved in the DEET issue at all? If they never pushed that it hurts the reef , with nothing to back it up, I never would have questioned it. The previous RMP poster has asked I email directly so I have recently and in the past numerous times hoping to get this information to pass on and spread the word but I never get a reply. If no one is going to reply to emails, especially after that has been suggested by marine park perple who knew the question, then they should not suggest sending emails.
All I would like to know is what product the marine park suggests that is proven safer while also accepted by any of the major health organizations for protection from gug bites so that I can let people know about this mystery product. In less time than it took for you to reply previously you caould have answered the question myself and others simply keep asking, What studies are there about deet hurting the reef and what are the options that meet the above criteria?
Thanks.

First and foremost let me suggest that I am all for conservation and do believe for the most part that the RMP is doing what they can to help Roatan and it's reefs. I am a supporter and have donated to this organization in the past and will continue to do so but I do hope they stay on track as Will mentioned and stick to what they are best involved in. I do know they are underfunded and are dealing with a lot of different issues. The problem I do have is when they badmouth certain things and then do not have any type of factual information to back it up. Of course dropping anchor on reef is bad as is sewage, runoff and illegal fishing and taking of juvenile fish and those with eggs as well as poor diver/snorkler habits

The issue I have is that the RMP has taken the stance, That beacuse of them is considered by many to be factual, that DEET is bad for the reef and then recommend other products that have not proven any better while the same products avoid testing by not calling themselves an insect repellant and if anything have caught more grief for reef destruction. RMP seems to ignore questions about this topic. No where else in the world is it pushed harder that DEET is bad for the reef and I have emailed the RMP and asked here simply for information about this as well as what products they suggest are any better for the reef and still get no reply. In their own archives there is a section written about how there have been studies done about sunscreen hurting the reef an in the same post they again mention not using DEET yet they do sell a "natural" product that contains chemicals that are actually in question. Cactus Juice, which may or may not be any better for the reef and I am not suggesting anyone not use it, is not accepted as a repelllant and it contains Octisalate; Oxybenzone and Octinoxate which are probably not what people think of when using an "all natural" product ( Just GOOGLE those those chemicals ) I just find it hard to believe that the Florida Keys, Bahamas, Caymans and so many other more developed areas have not pushed this DEET issue and Lil Ole Roatan is on the forefront of this type of testing. PLEASE, RMP, Tell us what you have found is proven safer AND is accepted by any major health organization as working to prevent the bites other than long shirt and long pants.
For all interested in not just doing what they say "beacuse they say so" you can find the RMP take on DEET ___HERE___ This is where they Talk about how bad sunscreen is and then somehow get DEET involved. Why is is so hard for anyone at the RMP to let us know on a public forum what the better and or safer product they suggest is or let us know why they feel DEET is so bad?

PLEASE, RMP, Just let us all know what products are accepted to work by any major health organization that are proven to be safer for the reef than DEET. I will put a link on my website and push these products to all as soon as you give us this info? If it is not in the RMP's interest to get involved in such issues as Will has recently stated then they should avoid badmouthing some products and saying others are better unless they can back it up as well and stick to the facts.

Excellent post,

The main thing is that regardless of which brand or product you use, Don't smother yourself in sunscreen or repellent just before entering the water as it MAY be damaging the reef, and you won't be bitten down there anyway, not by bugs at least!

If sunburn is an issue do what most of the instructors do down here and use a rashguard or skin, in the long run it is cheaper, less environmentally damaging and usually provides better protection.

One other factor is that many repellants, Deet for sure, can be very damaging to plastics. I have seen many dive computers destroyed by the effects of Deet. (usually by making the face unreadable)

RTB, As you know I have voiced my sometimes humble opinion here and would like to share something. Let's put aside the reef for a minute and just talk about the effects of Deet on YOU. That stuff smells bad, feels bad and probably is bad for you, BUT, it is effective against mosquitoes. With all do respective, I would be worrying about the effects of a chemical like that on myself before I worried about the effects on the reef. The crap melts stuff. Like I said in an earlier post, I have had great results from Cactus Juice with regards to mosquitoes and stopped using any deet on me.
Here is an alternative and I have no experience with it but just ordered some and their sunscreen. I have read as much as I could find on their products and so far I am impressed. There is test data on their website but we would have to know more about the testing institute to make a strong conclusion. In any case, regardless of whether you buy any or not, I will be back to Roatan in a month. I will be more than happy to report my findings with regard to their products.

skedattlelabtest.html

Excellent post,

One other factor is that many repellants, Deet for sure, can be very damaging to plastics. I have seen many dive computers destroyed by the effects of Deet. (usually by making the face unreadable)

The thing is that I dont think anyone has ever suggested deet does not hurt plastics and such BUT as mentioned, the RMP has posted definatively that deet hurts the reef and has never been able to provide info about where this started.

I have had great results from Cactus Juice with regards to mosquitoes and stopped using any deet on me. [/url]

As previously mentioned, a simple google search will find that the chemicals in Cactus Juice are much more in question to hurting the reef than Deet. As far as hurting yourself, There has never been an insect repellant that has gone thru more testing than deet and it is still approved for use on small children. If there was a study on DEETS use on plasic and scuba gear it may fail but this post is about the RMP suggesting DEET hurts the reef without having any data to back it up. If the Reef were plastic than this post may be relovent. Some may even suggest that DEET disolves the plastic that hurts the reef so it may actually help the reef, Of course I would not suggest this but it is just as factual as the RMP thing that DEET hurts the reef

Reporter convicted for killing fish with shampoo

Published: 5/19/09, 11:25 AM EDT

COPENHAGEN (AP) - A Danish TV reporter has been convicted of animal cruelty for killing 12 aquarium fish with shampoo for a consumer affairs show.

The Glostrup City Court says Lisbeth Koelster poured 0.3 fluid ounces (10 milliliter) of a shampoo containing an anti-dandruff substance into a fish tank for a TV program in 2004.
The show on public service broadcaster DR was aimed to expose the toxicity of chemicals used in some hair products.

Three days later, 12 of the 13 guppies in the tank had died.

A veterinarian reported her to the police two days after the show aired, but the case apparently didn't get any priority treatment and was only brought to court last week.

Tuesday's ruling said Koelster knew the fish would die because the experiment was based on a similar laboratory test. The court didn't fine her, however, saying her rights to a speedy trial had been violated.

So much for gulping guppies in shots on Spring Break.

I totally agree with RTB's point of view. DEET is proven safe beyond the shadow of a doubt for human use. It is extremely useful and can help prevent malaria. There is little or no scientific study of it's potential damage to reefs.

There is no accredited evidence that any other chemicals work as well or work at all. One of the biggest myths for years was that "skin so soft" worked. Now it appears that Cactus Juice has the spotlight. Marketing can do amazing things.

I use DEET in certain situations and will continue to do so. Yes I learned the hard way that it can ruin the face of a watch. Some of it may get into the water but the amount is insignificant even when considering all the divers in the world. I'm an avid diver and respect the reef and its occupants and will adjust my usage if scientific research shows that these small amounts of DEET hurt in any way.

Until then, I personally think the marine park should concentrate on more important matters such as destruction of the reef by anchors. They should work harder to control the run off and raw sewage being dumped into the ocean by the millions of poor residents living on or near the sea in Roatan and around the world.

Until then, I personally think the marine park should concentrate on more important matters such as destruction of the reef by anchors. They should work harder to control the run off and raw sewage being dumped into the ocean by the millions of poor residents living on or near the sea in Roatan and around the world.

BINGO,

In fairness to RMP, it would seem they are handcuffed with their ability to enforce, arrest or fine offenders. If I remember correctly the Dad in Flipper was head of a marine park and he got to carry a gun. (Humor)
Maybe RMP could find a way to fund a few full time police officers. I guarantee you, when the guy with the gun tells you not to anchor your boat... you don't anchor your boat.
Secondly there needs to be enforcement at construction sites and the proper use of silt fence Features Vol 50 no 2 - Proper Silt Fence Installation : Land and Water Magazine.
It's cheap and easy to install.

Back
Top Bottom