Deep6: Scribble 1st vs Signature 1st

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have zero experience servicing regs. Is the class 'idiot proof" enough for someone like me?

I actually almost pulled the trigger on buying a Deep6 reg set. One of the owners saw a post I put on FB and was very proactive in reaching out to me. We talked on the phone for a bit and he was supposed to send me some info but he never did. Good thing he didn't contact me because I now have second thoughts because of maintenance. I'm living in Colombia and none of the LDS here have heard of Deep 6 and so I worry about who would be able to do the servicing.

yes

Yeah... that's a long ways off if at all. I generally don't do well in tight spaces.

My set (I got the entire Signature set) just arrived in the mail; seems a lot nicer than anything I've used in the past.

Another dumb question. None of my rental secondarys have had venturi levers or adjustment knobs. On dry land (my basement) it's clear you can make the cracking pressure harder/easier with the adjustment knob. The venturi lever doesn't seem to have a difference. What way should I leave them? Googling seems to suggest adjusting them if you run into freeflow events (makes sense), but what should my default be? Also is "+" out, and "-" in? Should my backup be set the same way, or should it be set to a way that makes freeflowing even less likely when not in use?

My first dive with these regulators is this weekend, and I'd like to have an idea of what I'm doing before I try to use it...

Yeah... that's a long ways off if at all. I generally don't do well in tight spaces.

My set (I got the entire Signature set) just arrived in the mail; seems a lot nicer than anything I've used in the past.

Another dumb question. None of my rental secondarys have had venturi levers or adjustment knobs. On dry land (my basement) it's clear you can make the cracking pressure harder/easier with the adjustment knob. The venturi lever doesn't seem to have a difference. What way should I leave them? Googling seems to suggest adjusting them if you run into freeflow events (makes sense), but what should my default be? Also is "+" out, and "-" in? Should my backup be set the same way, or should it be set to a way that makes freeflowing even less likely when not in use?

My first dive with these regulators is this weekend, and I'd like to have an idea of what I'm doing before I try to use it...
+ Is dive, - is predive or for alternate/octo/secondary or whatever you call the one not in your mouth

+ Is dive, - is predive or for alternate/octo/secondary or whatever you call the one not in your mouth
Seems easy enough.

For the adjustment knob, it should be set to the easiest breathing setting that doesn't cause freeflow?

I have zero experience servicing regs. Is the class 'idiot proof" enough for someone like me?

I actually almost pulled the trigger on buying a Deep6 reg set. One of the owners saw a post I put on FB and was very proactive in reaching out to me. We talked on the phone for a bit and he was supposed to send me some info but he never did. Good thing he didn't contact me because I now have second thoughts because of maintenance. I'm living in Colombia and none of the LDS here have heard of Deep 6 and so I worry about who would be able to do the servicing.

Another way to look at things is you’d be confident with Deep 6 regs because you’d be factory trained to service them yourself, have your own service kit and superb customer service just a Skype call away if you ran into problems.

When I got my first set a couple of years ago, I had the same concern. I took them to my local LDS and sat with the service tech, opening them up and checking to see if he would have any issues servicing them moving forward. His final verdict was that anyone who could service Apeks/Scubapro regs and had the manual would have no problem maintaining the regs. The manual is available for download on the Deep6 site, so maybe a proactive chat with a local service tech would be helpful in reassuring you? Thats if they don't try and sell you their shop brands by using FUDD, sadly a common tactic.

I got some snark comments from my LDS. He still made the adjustment and I’m happy, regs are great and I still shop at my LDS.
I’m sure I will get more comments next time I am there and need some adjustments, but worth it to me. Great regs for me, and zero regrets.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom