Deep6: Scribble 1st vs Signature 1st

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SpecialTest

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
It seems to have been discussed a bit, but I can't find a practical answer to what the differences between the two means as far as end-use. I'm looking to buy my first regulator set and am interested in what Deep6 is offering. I'm generally a guy that tends to over-buy and gets stuff nicer than I really need because I hate upgrading later--if I ever really "need" to is another question.

I understand they are entirely different designs, but what meaningful benefits does that translate to for the end user? I can piece together a Signature hoseless package from D6 for $517, and a Scribble package for $395 (both packages have Signature 2nd's). While an extra $120 isn't a ton of money, what does it get me that I'll functionally notice? I'm still a beginner diver, looking to stop renting. I generally keep equipment for a long time and I keep stuff in good shape; so this will be a long term purchase. I dive only locally right now, and in the Northeast USA, so temps can get pretty cold in early and late parts of the year.

Signatures have a swivel turret with 5th bottom port for the low-pressure connections, so are bigger and heavier. They also include the first
service free.

Scribbles are more compact, lighter, and only 4 fixed LP ports.

Depends on what the important features are for you.

ETA: runsongas beat me typing ...

The 5th bottom port can be helpful for hose routing with dual first-stage regulator setups, so if you might progress to twins or H-valves, the Signature may be more flexible.

The Signatures also have the PVD coating and higher performance seats & seals.

Scribble doesn't have a bottom port. This severely restricts your hose configuration options.
For doubles that means your secondary and wing inflator hoses will have to make a hard 90* bend with a pretty short radius to cross over.
For sidemount it means you can't use the stubby little inflator hoses that some people like to use
For singles it means that you can't get creative with hose configurations

Swivel turret is a "nice to have" but doesn't really have any practical benefit unless you are doing single file exits as it prevents the long hose from kinking. The bottom port is far more important IMO.

The Signature will have a lower total cost of ownership due to first service being free and if you take the service class you get a free repair kit every year.

The performance improvements are there, but the Signature second stages are good enough that unless you do comparison test dives on a regular basis you won't notice. It's nearly imperceptible at any normal breathing patterns

I initially bought my Scribble for a pony bottle. The Scribble being lighter, more compact, and less expensive than the Signature was a plus to me.

I ended up liking it enough that I swapped my hoses and SPGs around and rigged up the Scribble to be my primary first stage (HOG D3 is now my pony bottle 1st stage).

The DIN Scribble has been sold out every time I’ve looked since I bought mine. My only regret in buying a Scribble is that I didn’t buy a second one.

As they said though...the Scribble has less hose routing flexibility, lacking the bottom LP port. If money isn’t really an object and you want go keep your options open for later...you might want to consider the Signature instead.

The Signature will have a lower total cost of ownership due to first service being free and if you take the service class you get a free repair kit every year.
Neat. This seems like the biggest selling point to me. I'm a guy that does their own maintenance on almost everything I own, so free repair kits seems nice. The flexibility for improved hose routing seems nice--if a bit unnecessary for single tank diving. If I ever delve into doubles, I'm sure I'll be glad.

Now to research their service class...

Buy once, cry once.

Spring for the Signature series so no matter how you dive you have the regs to support your desired configuration.

I bought some fixed turret regs without a fifth port thinking there’s no way I’d ever faff about with that sidemount nonsense. Now I’m about to join Sidemountpalooza and I’m bumping into the limitation of my shortsightedness regarding first stages. For sure, at the top of the list is the D6G first stages (sigh....second stages, too, since I like to pure-fleet my gas lines).

Now, regarding rebreathers...nahhhhhh. Never, ever in a million years.

Wait....I can stay down how long?

Not sure. I thought @LandonL was working on something like Skype, but I don't know if it went anywhere. Deep6 isn't being as active here now days as folks were being dicks. Might go on the Deep6 website and ask. They are responding there.

FWIW - I did my class up in Canada....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom