Deep6 regulator reviews?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kineese

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello!

Curious if anyone has dove with the deep6 regulators. I've only found a few reviews of their performance (along the lines of breaths great!) But they seem to be more along the lines of "I used it that one time"

Any reviews by regular users?

they haven't been out long enough to get really "regular" users. Not sure what you're really looking to get out of a user review from it though as all it will be able to say is how it compared to their previous regulators in terms of hose routing and how it breathed. Lots of variables in that, but I would have no reservation purchasing them if you were considering comparable regs, Hollis, Dive Rite, HOG, etc.

I have about 7 hours on Deep6 second stages (as stage bottle regs.) They breath great, comfortable in the mouth, no complaints. Great value.

they haven't been out long enough to get really "regular" users.

Ha! I just looked up when they were available. Shows how long I've been doing this... I was really looking to see if people continued to like breathing from it after the initial test (longevity?) But that might be premature!

I wanted some (especially with Chris' Labor/Labour Day Special), but I have so many regs already.......:banghead:

FWIW - I wouldn't hesitate a moment to get some if I was really looking for regulators.

Ha! I just looked up when they were available. Shows how long I've been doing this... I was really looking to see if people continued to like breathing from it after the initial test (longevity?) But that might be premature!

I am unsure of any regulators that get worse to breathe when they get broken in though I know Edd Sorenson probably has the most hours on them of anyone including Chris, he is completely anal about his WoB on the regs, and they are the ones he goes to these days.... that says a lot. The build quality is on par with basically everything else on the market in terms of machining, Chris made a lot of expensive choices in materials that give them a nod over some of the competition, but we are really splitting hairs in performance. I think the new design is fantastic and helps to edge out some of the competition and if I were purchasing new regulators and paying retail, I'd be hard pressed to go anywhere else.

I haven't had time to really put together a review, I have had them for a little bit now. Long story short - there good, Breath easy, adjustable, and they are tuned to really deliver (in terms of air). You can tell they put more of a focus on quality then there closest competitors.
I would recommend getting them if you are looking for a new set. A few people breathed out of my set at a safety stop and they were impressed (the unique deep6 look really attracted them to wanting more info my gear)

I've had mine for a little while now, I only have about 8hrs on them and they're great in my opinion. They breathe super easily, are adjustable and are comfortable during longer dives (for me that's only been about 60mins), the hose routing with the single tank set-up is perfect for me and the fit and finish is excellent. It's a very high quality product, honestly I'd buy them again and again. For me it was money well spent.

I don't think there's really much to review on them. They're in that top tier of regulators in terms of breathing (IMHO)....but I'm not picky and can't really tell a difference amongst the "good breathers." Compared to (for example) Apeks, Atomic, Hog D3/Zeniths, Dive Rite XTs, and the new Hollis 200LX (or whatever they're called)....they all breathe really well and I can't really tell them apart. That entire list breathes slightly better than the last-gen Hog D1/Classic, DC1/212, and last-gen Dive Rites. The quality on the Deep6 regs is fantastic, the HP port is at a 90* angle to the DIN valve (great for SM mains, imo), the turret is allowed to swivel 360 with hoses attached and they don't run into the handwheel, and they feel high quality. The first stages are sealed diaphragms (my preference) with 5 LP ports and 2 HP ports but there's really little else to say. The biggest difference on these regs (to me) is the "turbo poppet" (or whatever it's called). Deep6 says it makes breathing easier....I'm not sure about that. What I am sure about is there's no way to install it upside-down. Installing the regular poppet upside down can be a huge hassle and even dangerous (if installed just the wrong way). Eliminating that, to me, is huge.

The Downsides: They're new to the game. The risk there is losing parts support for the regs. However, Chris Richardson isn't new to the industry. He got heavily involved at NAUI after being the creator of HOG (under the Edge brand) and has hung around. I think there's little risk of losing him from the industry. I believe Chris said the Deep6 parts kits are interchangeable with the HOG kits, although the Deep6 kits use different materials (for ease of breathing and longevity, per them). So, I really don't see a risk in buying a set. Parts kits are included with regs, as well as their super nice dry box, and first service is on the house.

The upsides are that they're really nice regs, right up there with the best of them and the price is right. I'll be adding a set (or two or three) to my ever-growing inventory. I've done a bunch of try-dives, and I'm getting more and more convinced they'll be a near-future purchase.

It sounds like I should get myself some deep6 regs! Now, to choose between orange, black or the silvered one... or two different colors because this is definitely for my transition to side mount.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom