Deep stops, Pyle stops, Gradient Factor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Walter once bubbled...
A 50 ft stop on a 60 ft dive seems like overkill to me. I routinely make 50 ft stops on 100 ft dives.
Are you diving air at that depth?

I would agree it seems like overkill. but what I'm trying to get at is are you offgassing faster or more efficient by making short stops at those depths or is a safety stop the same.

Does that make sense...

More typically nitrox, but I also dive air at 100 ft.

I understood your point. I don't believe a stop at 50 ft is needed when you are only diving to 60 ft. I could see a stop at 30 ft, but the stops at 50 ft and 40 ft are, IMHO, overkill when only diving to a max depth of 60 ft.

A slow ascent greatly aids in off gasing. Deep stops are also of help. I doubt you'll get much, if any, added benefit by dropping the pressure from 2.8 atma (pressure at 60 ft) to 2.5 atm (pressure at 50 ft). That's such a small change I, personally, wouldn't bother.

this post originated from a discussion Brandon and I were having, when I started to learn about how different "compartments" absorb at different rates. The whole theory of nitrogen loading is pretty kewl, and I think last night I figured out how to take the next step to learning more about this. I was having a discussion with a course director about taking the I believe it is called "EDAM" course at the catalina chamber. It is like a week or 10 day course @ Catalina. :) What a kewl trip that would be. Although Brandon with your fear of salt I doubt you would make it lol

hmmm, once the wife heals, should I go to Catalina, Cayman islands, or Fiji? Choices Choices Choices

k getting this thread back on topic. If you do a dive to 100' and you start deep stops at 50' aren't you still ongassing some of the slower compartments, and can't this cause a problem after certain amount of time. I am very new to trying to understand all of this. And I think it is a benefit to know not only what computers are tellin ya but tables and other methods as well

k here's a profile question for some of the more experienced divers around. K 100' for 20 mins on 21%. (this is a hypothetical dive). by padi table is right at the ndl. by v-planner you have a 40 sec stop @ 30', a 3 min stop at 20', and a 6 min stop at 10'. Off gassing starts at 68.6 ft. Pretty big difference there?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom