Deep Six Outfitters Eddy Fin

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here are the pics of the two:

I always take pictures like this with a grain of salt.

Example: Suppose 1 fin is 1" longer than the other when compared is in that picture. Now suppose you actually put the fins on and find out that the "longer" fin actually slides 1" further onto your foot, due to the size or shape of the foot pocket. Then the fins are really the same length, even though one looks longer.

Foot pocket shape and how it actually fits on your foot - how deep your foot fits into the pocket - seems to me to be an important factor in comparing fin "length".

How deeply and securely one's foot fits in a fin pocket could also affect how much power is transferred from the foot to the fin. It seems to me there are all kinds of variables at play.

I always take pictures like this with a grain of salt.

Example: Suppose 1 fin is 1" longer than the other when compared is in that picture. Now suppose you actually put the fins on and find out that the "longer" fin actually slides 1" further onto your foot, due to the size or shape of the foot pocket. Then the fins are really the same length, even though one looks longer.

Foot pocket shape and how it actually fits on your foot - how deep your foot fits into the pocket - seems to me to be an important factor in comparing fin "length".

Yup. In my case trying the Eddy fins, this was definitely a factor like I pointed out. Scubapro people deliberately made very narrow foot pockets. They wanted you to buy the scubapro boots. Now that I have the scubapro boots (which is essentially a sock with a harder sole) Eddy fins were loose on me. Besides the "fit factor" sheer mass of scubapro XL does seem to put some force into the thrust as compared to Eddy fins but it takes a lot more muscle too.

@cerich, any response to my post?

Last edited:
Cerich, any response to my post?

We are at DEMA this week. Chris isn't following SB so closely while here, so I will try to answer.

1.) I think XL is your likely size. You can always exchange if not.

2.) it's going to be a little while longer before we get the -ve fins in. Whether you need them or not though depends on how your trim is now and how you are diving at the moment.

3.) Drop by, but just give a call first to make sure one of us is in.

Cheers,
Landon

Thanks Landon!

Shoot, I had sponsored tickets for DEMA, too. I just couldn't justify leaving work. I'm still slammed with hurricane salvage jobs. Been cutting concrete pilings all week and the money is awesome. :)

Thanks for the answers. I really appreciate it!

Since we're polling for news, how about info on a possible negatively buoyant version of the Eddy?

Agreed... I'd be in for a set that was negatively buoyant in seawater.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom