Deep Six Outfitters Eddy Fin

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I got to try these fins in the swimming pool finally. Here are my thoughts:

Pros:

They are SIGNIFICANTLY lighter than my jets.

They are SIGNIFICANTLY easier to get into than my jets.

Orange lets them be seen from a far.

Cons:

As a personal preference, I like heavier fins specially for drysuits. This is not really a Con but more of a personal preference thing.

In terms of thrust, they are weaker than Jets. Jets are a high-power = high thrust fin where each kick gets you farther but also takes more muscle. Eddy are easier on the legs but you are not going as fast. It is compromises power to give you endurance. I guess this is also a personal preference.

I was diving with scubapro boots which are very thin soled. They are meant to fit jets perfectly but they are loose when they go into Eddy. For this reason I found the fit to be looser than I would like but a drysuit boot or a thicket boot should give a different experience.

In other words there is no CON. It all boils down to personal preferences. I prefer jets but most people who have tried both tend to like Eddys more.

I finally had a chance to try out my new Eddy fins. I used them with a drysuit, but I plan to use them most frequently with a wetsuit. I usually use Jets with the drysuit. In comparison with the Jets, the Eddys felt like bedroom slippers. I mean, the most comfortable fin I have ever worn. As for function, the Eddys worked fine--no, not as stiff as the Jets and therefore not as much thrust, but I wasn't expecting that. I think the Eddys are my new go-to fin. The Jets are now relegated to drysuit and double tank duty, where the weight and thrust are needed.

I think the back kick and frog kick are so easy in the Eddys because they are so light. They move where your foot tells them to. The Jets have so much mass that all the small muscles in your foot had better be in top strength if you want to move them with precision.

The Large Eddy fit my US size 9 foot in the Santi Flexsole boot just fine.

I finally had a chance to try out my new Eddy fins. I used them with a drysuit, but I plan to use them most frequently with a wetsuit. I usually use Jets with the drysuit. In comparison with the Jets, the Eddys felt like bedroom slippers. I mean, the most comfortable fin I have ever worn. As for function, the Eddys worked fine--no, not as stiff as the Jets and therefore not as much thrust, but I wasn't expecting that. I think the Eddys are my new go-to fin. The Jets are now relegated to drysuit and double tank duty, where the weight and thrust are needed.

I think the back kick and frog kick are so easy in the Eddys because they are so light. They move where your foot tells them to. The Jets have so much mass that all the small muscles in your foot had better be in top strength if you want to move them with precision.

The Large Eddy fit my US size 9 foot in the Santi Flexsole boot just fine.
It's interesting to me that I hear jet owners that try the Eddy report both that the Eddy doesn't have quite as much thrust and others report that the Eddy has more. How fins feel are pretty subjective, I wish I had a machine to compare them, however only Mares to my knowledge has such a machine in Italy..

I thought there were plans for a heavier version.
there are not only plans but we have prototypes. What we (I) haven't done yet was put them in production. The MOQ is 200 pairs per size and color.. right now I am investing in other products

Need any more prototype testers?

It's interesting to me that I hear jet owners that try the Eddy report both that the Eddy doesn't have quite as much thrust and others report that the Eddy has more. How fins feel are pretty subjective, I wish I had a machine to compare them, however only Mares to my knowledge has such a machine in Italy..

My suspicion is that, while the Eddys are nice and stiff, they still don't seem quite as stiff as the Jets--and that's a good thing, because improved comfort was part of what I was seeking. It also occurred to me that the length (and probably weight) of Jets varies considerably with the size. (Does the Eddy's length vary as much?) I am comparing my experience with L Eddys versus XL Jets, which seem to be about the same length.

Depends on the size of jets they are comparing with. Large in Jets is actually a very small blade compard to the X-L size. In terms of power, I think Eddy falls between XL jets and L jets and that is where it has built its customer base.

Here are the pics of the two:

jet fin sizes.jpg

Just for completeness, according to this thread, the fin in the middle, between the XL and L Jets, is an L OMS Slipstream. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom