Deep Shore Dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When I recently completed a dive course, one of the skills that we needed to master was the 70' ascent. You don't need to be that deep to practice that skill but trying to master ascents and stops in 30' or less is difficult. I managed to get some time in with another diver completing a different course and he was having the same issues with the ascent & bottle rotation. Add to that the boating traffic at most shore sites in the Toronto-Barrie area, it was difficult to practice these skills without going back out to Kingston or Brockville. I agree that trim, buoyancy, technique, etc are best done in shallow water but there are times that deeper sites would be helpful.

You guys are looking at this all backwards. If you can master a 6 min ascent from 20' and hit your times perfectly every time then you can ascend from anything. You don't have to do 10' stops, do 3' stops instead and perform a skill at each stop to force your mind to monitor depth while task loaded. Break up your routines so you aren't becoming complacent. Ever tried to do a 3' depth change and take an entire minute to move the 3' without losing control of your buoyancy? It hard as hell, but if you can do it, you can do a 10' move without any problems. The second ata is the hardest place to maintain buoyancy so thats where you want to practice skills. Once you are past 60' buoyancy is easier and you lose training value. If you come out of the water after a training session and you think "that was easy, I'm good to go", then you didn't challenge yourself and you wasted a training dive. If you come out tired, frustrated and sweating, then you likely accomplished more than you think and the next time you attempt those skills you'll have an easier time because you are improving. It's no different than going to the gym.

Train hard, dive safer. End of hijack.

Steve et al,

I think there is a perception that deeper is best (at least in diving!). Occasionally going deep is nice if there is something of signifigance to see. I agree that practicing skills and getting more bottom time is better achieved at shallower depths.

But I think I just pointed out the obvious to most.......

I have dove Ivy Lea campground. I entered from site 105 - old boat launch and you will fine a line that will take you to an old Rum runner boat around 60'-70' vis was great then i rise to 30' and drift under the bridge and exit on the beach once under the bridge I hear it go to about 230' I have only gone to 120' also nice rock formations if you stay closer to shore when on the drift..

There is plenty of deep diving just off of Toronto mainly on the east end you just need to look. Off Scarbough bluffs you can hit 80' easly.

DT:
There is plenty of deep diving just off of Toronto mainly on the east end you just need to look. Off Scarbough bluffs you can hit 80' easly.

Do you have GPS coordinates for any of the parking spots and entry points?

DT:

Since I live on the top of the bluffs I would love to know any decent dive spots.

DT:

This is the first I've heard about it. Seeing as Big Bay Point is now officially a no-go, this thread has increased

I too am curious because I have poured over nautical charts for hours looking for what might amount to a decent shore dive (with public access - thanks to Google Earth) and have come up with nithing with any depth. The charts may not be perfect but to have "plenty of deep diving" would be a big hole in the charts I have - maybe I'll get my money back :D.

I await the details.

You guys are looking at this all backwards.

Kevin, I didn't take the original post as a cry for the best way to run drills. I completely agree with what you and that Lewis dude say.... There ain't much to be learned at 100+ that can't be learned better at 15'.

Some of us (and you know you both do too...) just like to get a ways down.

Remember the old bumper sticker... "The Deeper It Is, The Better It Feels!" :wink:

You need a boat guys with all this construction going on across the bottom of the city and people plotting them selves down in every little crevice along the water front for a picnic these days makes it hard to have any access anymore. You need to get offshore out into the lake to get any depth and as for Scarborough Bluffs yes! there is depth just off shore about a half mile out were its crystal clear but there's plenty of boat traffic from the four sailing clubs and public access ramp traffic to watch for. There is one spot I used to see divers diving from at the Bluffs as you go down the hill towards the bluffs ramps take the second right and go down towards the boat club restaurant there is a small parking lot directly across from it this is were divers would park and dive just off the rock edge like you would Humber Bay what's there and how deep it is I do not know.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom