Deep Sea Detectives : USS San Diego

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kewl, will check that out..........

Ugh....I know I gonna miss this tonight due to work commitments. If anyone here tapes it and finds the episode to be a must-see, I would appreciate a copy and will compensate you accordingly. There's a couple of these I'vem issed and I'm unable to record them.

It's now 19:53, the TV is set to the right channel, and I can't wait.

I thought it was very disappointing. Too much filler with ancillary history. Not much underwater footage. I also picked up couple of mistakes.
At one point Chatterton says it 11 miles from NYC. Not quite, 11 miles off shore maybe, but lots further from the city. (plus I thought it was only abt 7 miles off shore). Then they are looking at an old sketch of the wreck pointing to a hole in the bottom and saying its the port side hole. Well since the wreck it turtle if you turn it right side up, you will see that the hole they point to is actually on the starboard side. So from there on I don't know if they perpetuated the error or were they really looking at the damage on the port side. (port side is often referred to as the "dark side")
Attached sketch shows view from the "light side".

I agree, it was not one of their better episodes. Too much talking and not enough diving. But this seems to be the trend of the show lately - fancy graphics, a lot of assumptions, and no real answers.

Guys, get used to it. The show is not about divers or for divers. The show is about marine history and, for what it is, I believe it does a good job.

I have recorded every Deep Sea Dectective since it started. I travel a lot and it is a ritual for me to watch all ther episodes I missed that week. Thanks for TiVo!

garyfotodiver:
Guys, get used to it. The show is not about divers or for divers. The show is about marine history and, for what it is, I believe it does a good job.
i don't know if i totally agree, it's about more than just marine history :wink:
from their website:
Follow a new breed of underwater detectives who use 21st century technology to solve the mysteries behind these shipwrecks. Deep Sea Detectives goes beyond the "official explanation" by incorporating the latest scientific forensic techniques to shine a new light on the dark underwater graves of ships, planes and submarines.
i love the show,
i would just like to see some more answers.

i'd also like to see more of melanie in her new drysuit. :D

They pretty much dismissed the theory that she could have been torpedoed by U156 as U156 torpedoed another ship 280 miles away 2 days later. They inferred that there was no way U156 could have shown up 280 miles away 2 days later due to her slow surface speed. But 280 miles in 2 days is less than 6 kts not counting the effects of the current. Given that U156 would have had a surface speed of around 12 kts. (slow compared to most other classes, but still well over 6 kts) I don't see the problem. In fact the speed sounds almost exactly right and is about what I would have expected for a U-boat on patrol up the coast.

Sometimes I get the feeling they feel the need to come up with a conclusion different than the official version just to make it sound more dramatic or to imply there was some type of cover up or that the original investigation was flawed or inadequate.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom