deep sea detective show

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

blacksambellamy

Contributor
Reaction score
I don't know what you all think but its so hard to stomach this show. These 2 guys try to solve mysteries that are hundreds of years old in only 2 dives. They talk about history like they have been teaching it for years. John Chatterton is tolerable and comes across as somewhat intelligent and i believe he should have the show by himself. But his sidekick Richie Kohler pops into the screen with filler lines and asks stupid questions.
Last night they were diving Napoleons fleet attempting to solve how one of the ships blew up. I was laughing out loud as they explored a wreck that was over 200 years old looking for the answers. Do they expect us to believe that they could actually figure this out in a 1 hour show. I mean archeologists cant even figure it out . Good for them they landed this show that takes them around the world but if you ask me its not worth your time to watch.

The show has been on for a few years now and from what I hear, was not renewed. It is not a show about diving; it is entertainment.

There are already several threads about this show. Look them up.

They might even be members here on on TDS. They are pretty active in the diving community. Seem to be good for diving overall.

Brent

hunter991:
They might even be members here on on TDS.

Where?

When they came to the Great Lakes they didn't really teach us anything about the local wrecks but they sure seemed to have enjoyed themselves. Was some nice video segments in between Richie blabbing on and on...jk!

Would you guys watch a show that was all about recreational dive locations in Asia?

blacksambellamy:
I don't know what you all think but its so hard to stomach this show. These 2 guys try to solve mysteries that are hundreds of years old in only 2 dives. They talk about history like they have been teaching it for years. John Chatterton is tolerable and comes across as somewhat intelligent and i believe he should have the show by himself. But his sidekick Richie Kohler pops into the screen with filler lines and asks stupid questions.
Last night they were diving Napoleons fleet attempting to solve how one of the ships blew up. I was laughing out loud as they explored a wreck that was over 200 years old looking for the answers. Do they expect us to believe that they could actually figure this out in a 1 hour show. I mean archeologists cant even figure it out . Good for them they landed this show that takes them around the world but if you ask me its not worth your time to watch.

I never was a big fan of the show myself, To me they seemed "clownish" I'm not surprised to learn it was cancelled. It was a good idea in theory but lacked in actual application.

The show was really about telling the story behind the wrecks, caves, etc. For example, they dove the Car Ferry Milwaukee last year. Every active wreck diver in this area already new the story and there wasn't anything to learn. But for people in other parts of the country, it might be a pretty cool story to see how bad the conditions on the Great Lakes can get.

I enjoyed the show, but took everything with a grain of salt. I do like their Dive Portal DVD magazine. It focuses on diving as well as telling a story.

I think the show has merit, but the producers really sucked. It was too canned. Had they spent some time teaching J&R how to speak for tv it might have had a chance. Good idea gone bad. Had it been produced like some of the ocean adventures shows it might have made it.

Just my 2 psi

blacksambellamy:
Do they expect us to believe that they could actually figure this out in a 1 hour show.
You mean they don't?

"On the S-5 episode of Deep Sea Detectives, the 'detectives' neglected to mention that the Navy conducted 477 dives on the wreck. After a throrough investigation, there was never any doubt that the submarine sank as the result of a malfunction of the main air induction valve. In addition to instituting changes in the design of this essentially important valve, the Navy installed indicating lights in the control rooms of other submarines, to show when the valve was open or closed"....

"They (deep sea detectives) exclaimed that they saw nothing wrong with the valve. First of all, the main air induction valve was not located in the control room, (where they were) but in the engine room. The valve that was shown in the broadcast was some other valve."

"Secondly, they should have known that the component that failed was the gate inside the valve, and that this mechanism could not be seen by looking as the outer casing".

p. 148, Shadow Divers Exposed, Gary Gentile, http://www.ggentile.com/sdexposed.html

Chatterton and Kohler have a lot of experience in fooling the gullible with Shadow Divers and Hitler's Lost Sub. They shamelessly continue to chortle all the way to the bank.

Back
Top Bottom