Deep Run will be closed to scuba diving starting Labor Day.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

yukoneer

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Sad news for people who like deep run, for its accessibility and for its simplicity for checking out new equipment, etc... I just read information on another forum that Deep Run will be closed for divers, starting on Labor Day of this year.

The story goes is that the water intake box is now considered part of homeland security and the federal government wants us to stop diving in the area for the sake of protecting the water intake. The town of Gorham, where Deep Run is located at, wants us to stop diving for liability reasons. A diver who lives minutes from Deep Run has been in contact with the politicans in the area and has confirmed this. It was also mentioned at Canandaigua Sailboarding to someone else that this also will happen. It is not a rumor, it will happen.

Go dive Deep Run as often as you can now. I will be back in Rochester, NY on September 3rd, and will probably be doing a last farewell dive at Deep Run on September 4th.

My thread similie represents how I feel about it, that I can't speak out to keep it open. I am speechless, because the reasons of it being closed are, at most, not enough. In my opinion, if someone truly wants to contaminate the water intake, it can be easily done from shore or from swimming on surface. I still can't really understand what the liability issues the town of Gorham is having, since scuba is well known as a dangerous risky sport. The town could make a clearly visible sign saying that all divers that enter the park are at their own risk,etc... which lifts them from any liabilities.

Yup, I'll bet The town of Gorham is right up top on the list of terrorist most likely targets!! :11: :wink:

Made it to the Vince last wekend. There is nothing left to see there. But I still like the place for convenience and easy access. :(

wow. too bad ill be flying to the twin cities for labor day otherwise id try to go to deep run since how ive never been. well, i guess it was just never meant to be. have fun. oh, and i agree...some terrorist threat Canadaigua is! What are they going to do bomb Walmart? lol.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom