Deep outdoors gear.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bam540

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Looked at a lot of diffrent gear at the Beneath the sea show this weekend. I looked at alot of different BCs, harnesses, back plates, and wings. One of the nicest set ups I saw was The Deep Outdoors Matrix harness, back plate and wing. Really well built and comfortable. Does anybody out there own any Deep Outdoors gear that could offer any input?

I have a Deepoutdoor Matrix with ss backpack, and small wing (around 40 pounds as I recall ). Very well built gear. It is extremely heavy duty and I have not had any problems with it. I have had it about 3 years but actually have not used it as much as I have my other BC's. No real reason for not diving it, but my other gear needs to get worn out before I start diving this rig more.
I purchased it because I was impressed at the ruggedness of the materials it was built from. I only know two other people with a Deepoutdoors and they like them. I don't see a lot of them where I hang out. I am also interested in hearing from folks any pros or cons on this rig who have used this gear long term.

I was working the show this past weekend. I was moving between the Discover Scuba pool and Ocean Pals. My wife was working OP too.

I just purchased the Purist version from a guy in my dive club. Haven't gotten it yet. It has like four dives on it. I think the only difference is that the Purist is a HOG rig. I'm looking forward to diving it! I'm still diving HP120 singles for now, but I bought a pair of LP 95's that I plan to double up.

I have the Matrix LTD. It is very well made. The backplate is finished very nicely and the hardware is top notch. The elevated D-rings are very easy to use. The materials are very rugged. The padding is comfortable and the straps adjust easily. All-in-all, it is a nice piece of gear. However, I've gotten away from using it because I'm starting to appreciate the simplicity of a one piece harness. Anyone want to buy a Matrix LTD in L/XL?

bam540:
Looked at a lot of diffrent gear at the Beneath the sea show this weekend. I looked at alot of different BCs, harnesses, back plates, and wings. One of the nicest set ups I saw was The Deep Outdoors Matrix harness, back plate and wing. Really well built and comfortable. Does anybody out there own any Deep Outdoors gear that could offer any input?
I own a Deep Outdoors wing, and used to work in a shop that sold Deep Outdoors gear. It's very well-built stuff.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I also own a Deep Outdoors wing. Very nice stuff, but don't make the mistake that I did. I bought the 40 lb single/double wing. First wing and I thought I could save money when I was ready for doubles. It tacos way too much for a single. The wings I saw at Beneath the Sea were more streamlined and appeared to be better sized for singles.

laughintom:
I also own a Deep Outdoors wing. Very nice stuff, but don't make the mistake that I did. I bought the 40 lb single/double wing. First wing and I thought I could save money when I was ready for doubles. It tacos way too much for a single. The wings I saw at Beneath the Sea were more streamlined and appeared to be better sized for singles.

Did you use it with or without a STA?

james croft:
Did you use it with or without a STA?

It does the TACO dance with an STA too. A design from two years ago had an oversized bladder stuffed into a smaller shell to restrict it to 40 lbs. In fact, several manufacturers do that which can make venting or gas migration between lobes more difficult. Personally, I prefer designs which have a dedicated bladder mated to the correct sized shell. X

I tired the Matrix; well-built, but I didn't like the double straps on the waist. I ended up getting the Freedom plate, which I really like. The 40# wings I got are really only good for singles, so I will need to get another set sometime soon. I also got a DiveRite back pad, which I put a hole in to secure through the OMS STA that I picked up. The Freedom is tough as nails, very comfortable, but a bit heavy to lug around with the SS plate and STA - If I am doing day boats, I leave it at home, but on liveaboards, etc it always goes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom