Deep Diving on Air

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tugs are scary ... a tug pulling a log boom isn't just an overhead, it's a very unpredictable one ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Anytime someone posts the words "the worst possible case", that is just throwing down a gauntlet to the imagination of the members of SB...

"the worst possible case"… You mean like a scuba tank exploding and sinking the boat 50 miles offshore? A satellite falling out of the sky and pounding you into the sand? Maybe looking like a sick seal with a ravenous “Whitey” wondering about you? Divers are an imaginative lot :wink:

Yes, given the dearth of real life scuba emergencies I have seen, I am always amazed how many discussions we have about how to deal with one leg trapped by a giant clam at 90 feet, the other fin replaced by a piece of cardboard taped on with duct tape to your foot, with a free flowing leak in the tank o-ring, in a silt-out.

Diving is dangerous. Well, on the internet it is.

Most of us have seen a silt-out, I have seen a blown 1st stage o-ring (under water) and I HAVE seen a video (its on youtube) of some dude getting his dangling equipment trapped by a clam (Now theres a reason to streamline), but the cardboard & duct tape fin I never saw :p

Dale looked at bouys around are area, elliot bay is 52.7, port townsend is 49.3, so my dive today was in between I would say. So yea I guess it get 42 and the range is 42 to 58F at least that is the highest my depthfinder has read this year.

So I did notice my narcosis more here latley, although not all that deep, 170' to 190' a few weeks ago. In the winter I have dove in the ferry path along the whidbey side and it is a swim to depth and the narcosis on that dive to 200' is not bad there is great vis there for some reason.

So as it is said to build up tolerance to narcosis, for me there are some places where the narc is different as I am kicking this dive I just mentioned. The water temp was way warmer in summer so the narcosis was less also. Good sleep and rest is good to condition to also. A good regulator is also important for less narcosis.

Andrea Doria-The Deep

http://www.andreadoria.org/TheDeep/LifeDivers/Life Divers.htm

An independent mind to make assessments and
the ability, to actually do things, is required for
CHANGE

There are those teachers that may have started on the path of enlightening those that that require guidance
however though for some they have been easily steered unwittingly into the cult of education which drip feeds
only the masses that lack the whereforall because this is the only information they have been fed, only the
limited information that the cult of education wants you to learn at a pace they deem appropriate with no
consideration for the capacity of the people they are attempting to help

And mock and demean a progressive that attempts to inform by making ALL the information available
which by it's own title INFORMATION you could only imagine being armed with this could only make it
SAFER

So by the very means of their methods and their acceptable standards, educate becomes dictate

So basically except for the physical tools available and the complete lack of physicality today
we could be having this conversation in any decade of any century in the past or in the future

So like they say, NEVER GIVE UP

unless you are dealing with educated uninformed people that go under a guise, instructor, and belong to the cult of selling, at the cost of learning​

How deep on air? - Spearboard Spearfishing Community

Last edited:
What is defined as an "experienced diver" is subjective and may be compounded by depth and conditions. I know many "experienced" divers who have no experience at a PO2 of 1.6 ATM. Are these divers "experienced" enough to dive the Doria on air? I don't think so. However, I've known several commercial divers who in my mind are not very experienced (with just 2 or 3,000 hours), that I'd dive the Doria with on air without hesitation. I suppose the point I'm trying to make, is that diving ability and experience are complex issues. I sincerely believe that it's up to the individual to make an evaluation of their capabilities and assess the level of risk they're comfortable with. It depends on the time, the conditions and the person. One day I may bow-out, the next I'm good to go. There are no hard and fast absolutes. Every experienced diver should know when to say no to a dive.

I HAVE seen a video (its on youtube) of some dude getting his dangling equipment trapped by a clam (Now theres a reason to streamline)
He should have had a Spare Air as a backup, or at least John Wayne! :D

Haha, I bet he should..
Maybe he did actually, he did get freed from it. Doubt it was John Wayne helping him tho..

[video=youtube;9p3zxXVTnME]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9p3zxXVTnME[/video]

Deeper diving by a typical, experienced, recreational diver

To put this thread in perspective. I have 569 dives in modern times and only 11 were deeper than 130 ft (1.9%). Seven were between 130-139 feet, 3 between 140-149 feet, and only 1 greater than 150 feet (153 feet). All these dives were objective oriented and decompression time was zero or minimal. I would imagine most experienced recreational divers have a similar experience. This is certainly not a history of bounce dives to a much, much deeper depth.

Good diving, Craig

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom