Deep Air Diving - thoughts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I still play competitive rugby so my cardio is pretty good but I definitely feel better if I can dive higher % of 02. Just my experience here and no hard science to back it up other than my own feedback from my body.

Well i also play the same (as well as getting into running lately) and for backgas i notice no difference at all air to nitrox in terms of fatigue and so on. Im still dog tired after a day diving no matter what i do (usually due to 2-3hrs sleep and so on).
However i DO notice a difference doing deco with 100% vs 80% and so on in that i get out feeling better.

Well i also play the same (as well as getting into running lately) and for backgas i notice no difference at all air to nitrox in terms of fatigue and so on. Im still dog tired after a day diving no matter what i do (usually due to 2-3hrs sleep and so on).
However i DO notice a difference doing deco with 100% vs 80% and so on in that i get out feeling better.

Probably because you play in the backs and don't really have to do any work, right Flightlead?:wink: BTW, do you think he keeps his hairbrush tied off with cave line to a bolt snap and stored in a pocket or attached to a shoulder d-ring?:D:D:D:D

This is not supposed to be an adrenaline sport. As far as the lack of the "explorer gene" I think what you are really missing is the "indiana Jones" style of exploration. Those were the "kick the tires and light the fires" group who were often marking uncharted territory and the majority of them paid the price for their approach. Absolutely they paved the way for others, however the modern explorer has to begin where they left off and they "left off" where they did because a "hail mary" and "damn the torpedos" approach only goes so far. Now we are having to move past their benchmarks but it requires a hell of a lot more planning. Diving to 200' was pretty amazing when they first did it, but the next 400' or 600' are a whole different ball of wax.

There is no requirement for the "Indiana Jones" or "light the fires etc" attitude in technical diving. That gets people killed. Just because I dive air doesn't mean I am a cowboy.

The last 18/45 mix I used here cost me $340 for one fill. Sorry but I'm not paying that every time I dive and would rather dive air. If I want to undertake any diving or exploration deeper than 60 metres then I have no choice (60 is my personal limit in open water on a good day) but I will leave that to the young rich kids with no wife and mortgage.

To do a nice easy 50 metre to 60 metre dive then air is sufficient.

Penetrating wrecks is another story. I have penetrated wrecks as deep as 70 metres on air in the tropics but here at home in cold water and sometimes low viz then no way. Luckily the majority of the ones I dive are shallower than 40 metres. I am cool with that.
If Tx was available here for the same price as Florida...sure I would dive it...be about the same as I pay for nitrox here now.

Probably because you play in the backs and don't really have to do any work, right Flightlead?

Well we just let the fat clueless forward do some neanderthal wrestling then when they tire show them what real class and pace is all about and score the actual points to win the game :)

Well we just let the fat clueless forward do some neanderthal wrestling then when they tire show them what real class and pace is all about and score the actual points to win the game :)

Ha! I knew it! You can spot an opportunistic back afraid of a little hard work a mile away!:D:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom