Deep 6 Outfitters live service clinic in the GTA... who's in?

Do you want a Deep 6 service clinic in the GTA?

• TAKE MY MONEY NOW!!!

Votes: 4 36.4%
  • I'm not in the GTA, but I'm in! Here's my money!

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • I suck, so... no.

Votes: 6 54.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Got my spot and looking forward to the clinic! 5 spots are still available.

@freename, @Eptel, @abnfrog, @p_kos, @Dogbowl , @Bierstadt, @Tournesol2000, @shoredivr,

What a fantastic opportunely for a fantastic course !
A seriously diver can never learn too much and should always be learning.... and the regulator is at the heart and soul of successful diving. The more you comprehend the function and repair if necessary the safer and more enjoyable and safer your future dives.

I have been following this course since the initial post --anticipating it would become a reality and it has; because of your interest and enthusiasm to learn more and rise above the norm , and you will upon completion of this course.

Yesterday I was chatting about this course with my dear friend and your fellow Canadian Alex Pierce who is above world class in his knowledge of diving and dive history. I explained what I knew about the course, It was my consideration that the only thing lacking in thus course is a wee bit of first hand historical knowledge, as only Alex can provide.

My I suggest at some junction in the course that you, individually or collectively invite Alex down for an "Evening with Alex" I suspect it will be an evening that will belong remembered by all.

I commend and congratulate each and every one of you in advance for your interest
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
What follows may or may not be of interest to you but it does have applicability.

There is a contingency on this board who are "repairing" regulators who have no professional training as you will receive and they are advertising their services with out the with out the benefit of legal terminology- apparently considers them selves immune from US litigation You can read the entire thread at "? re buying/selling used regulators."

One of my responses:
"Very interesting !
Some words of advice from one who was a "professional diving witness" long before you could say regulator.

Attorneys use a dictionary called "Blacks Law dictionary" which contains the legal definition of word and phrases, You might want to go to your local library check out a copy of Blacks and look up "over haul" "repaired" or "reconditioned" to best describe and protect your self from future litigation.

It is not the satisfied customer who will be your problem it is the grieving widow or the parents who will seek legal recourse in the event of an accident that may or may not involve your equipment. Often in a questionable fatality the legal machine uses a shot gun approach and lists every one possibly involved as a component of the litigation.

I retired from practice --good gosh - almost 25 years ago. I suddenly discovered I needed something to occupy my time....Rudy Mola in Florida had a equipment repair program in place so why not one on the west coast? I had the space, the equipment and the knowledge so why not? I checked with my neighbor who an attorney who insisted that I obtain the best possible insurance coverage. I did -- The cost at that time was prohibitive -- no way Jose!

So I began writing a local newspaper diving column "Diver Bubbles." which I was informed by the editor that it was the first diving dedicated news paper column in the US-- It didn't pay much but it was challenging !

So my advice to sage you is check with Blacks, create an acceptable descriptor of you offerings and obtain an umbrella insurance from a very established reputable insurance company...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now a little about me and my SCUBA repair experience...

I began "diving" as a goggler about the same time as the God of UW - in the 1940s. after WW11 I obtained a Sea Net mask, the first US patented dive mask designed by Frank Rodecker who a few years later we would be in the same dive club and from A&B in NYC a pair of Churchill fins. Also became friends with Owen a visited his home on several occasions.

When Rene established US Divers the Aqua Lung aka Lung was advertised as not needing repair - Wrong ! The late Bill Milman was hired as the first US Lung repairman. a position he had for many years. To obtain parts all was needed was to call up Bill or visit him and "repair" your own ling--(FYI the originals were a piece of junk!)

After JYC & Crew acquired Divers and moved to Santa Ana in August 1960 things began to change-It became a company ..Many years ago under the direction of Tommy Thomson US Divers created an in house week long 40 hour equipment repair course which was FREE to shop owners and industry leaders- I qualified under the later category.

The late Jim Hagadorn, who went to the big reef in the sky early this year while diving for Abs in NorCal was the supervisor of US Diver repair department as well as the full time instructor for the course.
I repeated the course on three separate occasions , each time for an update on the latest US Divers equipment and to overhaul my families and class regulators.

Around the late 1980s Brian Miller ( no relation) was working his way up the US Diver corporate ladder and was in charge of the repair course. My 12 year old son Sam IV, who began diving as a toddler in a bath tub and progressed to a very competent young diver had completed his summer school, and needs new challenges. So I asked Brian if possible to enroll him in the equipment repair class ? The answer was Yes.

Every morning he was up early grabbed his lunch jumped on to his bike and peddled about 5 miles to US divers.

He returned the first day with a US divers T shirt and with the revelation that he had more diving experience than any one else in the class.

A few days later a US Divers Sweat shirt.

The last day a new US Diver regulator and F,M&S that a fellow named John Cronin gave him, the same John Cronin who was US Divers President and founder of PADI.

About 2 weeks later Tommy called and asked if we could bring Sam IV over to US Divers, there was a gentleman who wanted to meet him. We did - the gentlemen was Cousteau who presented Sam Iv with an inscribed book.

Sam IV went on to became a NAUI (Life) and PADI instructor, a Pro 5000 Diver as well as a ER & Hyperbaric Doctor and is currently Director of ER& Hyperbarics and a Staff member at the local regional hospital.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Good Luck ! Good Diving ! and above all enjoy your Regulator Repair Course

Sam Miller, 111

Sam always great to hear from you but alec is not the only diver who knows of (and was here ) for early dive history ... hes a great source but NOT the only one ...(hes been chasing after my sea hunt sighed voit for a long time )

Ok I'm signed up.

Is there a location set up yet, plus time?

no location and times not set yet

Yes, times and location would be good to have soon. Is Chris going to handle that? I need to make my travel plans.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom