Deep 6 is NOT a "Self Service" model

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For every shop that only services brands they are dealers for Another does all brands.

Shops get to choose their level of comfort
Yep. Absolutely that is the reality of the marketplace. Around here, some of those places use resources that are "trained" but NOT "authorized," by employing a technician that once took a training with another dealer. I don't want to get into the minutia of access to updates, current resources, and other technical support - my main question is whether or not they truthfully represent their status to their customers and allow the customer to decide THEIR comfort level.

I know I will accept other brands into my shop, but they go to another shop that IS authorized and trained. And I reciprocate with servicing my brands for his customers.

OK, In my example I am not at fault in either case. If an engine blew up because of a faulty oil change or a faulty brake job caused a crash I would be at fault and insurance may cover that because I was doing work that I am qualified to do based on what is accepted in the industry.

In my example of unauthorized service, my insurance may decline to pay for my legal defense even though my work was not the cause of the injury. I would likely be found not liable but would go bankrupt proving it.
Thanks. I forgot to include the relative ease/cost of a successful defense as another consideration.

Another factor in choosing which brands make sense for a business to service is inventorying sufficient spares to offer decent turnaround time. Ordering and paying for delivery on a small box of spares once every few months isn't a great option for the shop or customer. Servicing the regulators in your rental fleet and sell the most of makes sense but much more than that is debatable.

Another factor in choosing which brands make sense for a business to service is inventorying sufficient spares to offer decent turnaround time. Ordering and paying for delivery on a small box of spares once every few months isn't a great option for the shop or customer. Servicing the regulators in your rental fleet and sell the most of makes sense but much more than that is debatable.
Yep! And sometimes you need one or two parts, but have to pad an order with several other unnecessary items to make a required minimum order. At least I figured out how to ask nice to have it put in a padded envelope with a couple of stamps instead of the default UPS box.

OK, In my example I am not at fault in either case. If an engine blew up because of a faulty oil change or a faulty brake job caused a crash I would be at fault and insurance may cover that because I was doing work that I am qualified to do based on what is accepted in the industry.

In my example of unauthorized service, my insurance may decline to pay for my legal defense even though my work was not the cause of the injury. I would likely be found not liable but would go bankrupt proving it.

The thing is, it seems reg manufacturers have made up by themselves, for their own benefit, and not based on the reality of what it takes to service a reg competently, "what is accepted in the industry."

@EireDiver606

"Awesome story Sam. Not many can say they’ve had the pleasure of meeting Jacques Cousteau!"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Son Sam IV was unimpressed -- He grew up in the center of the diving world with many diving luminaires of the era
When he received his SSI Pro5000 about ten years ago Clive Cussler and his son Dirk sent Sam IV an inscribed copy of their latest book,

FYI
I have seven of JYCs books inscribed to me..The first book was inscribed several years prior to the release of "The Ocean World of Jacques Cousteau..: He was almost unknown out side the diving world and very approachable-- just another lousy diver

Those wer tha Daz of our dives ..

Notre Dame - aka The fighting Irish plays the University of SoCal aka USC in a few hours - we are ND fans until they play USC-- since ND has not lost a game looks like we will be rooting for the wrong team

Cheers from CenCal

Sam

Plus, as the manuf. Deep 6 is authorizing any shop that has a trained scuba tech of any brand to service our regulators based on their training. All they need to do is use our parts and download the service manual.

This ^^^^ from a related thread seems to cover the liability issue, that if you're a trained tech for any brand, then Deep 6 authorizes you to service Deep6 regs. Not Joe Shmo, not un reg-repair trained me, but a trained service tech for any brand.

If their statement on the training needed to professionally service their regs is that you must be trained by any brand, that seems to cover the shop liability issue, as the authority for that regulator. (I'm not a lawyer....)

How this differs from them being fine with un reg-repair trained me fixing my own regs, might be a subtlety.

I have no stake in this. I'm a non shop related DMC with regs that are modern ScubaPro, vintage ScubaPro, and Deep6. (and my save a dive kit has a spare 1st and 2nd stage)

Back
Top Bottom