Deep 6 is NOT a "Self Service" model

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cerich

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
I have been noticing that some discussions mention that Deep 6 is a brand for self service only.

While I suspect that started from shops that dislike our model, let me address it.

We allow self service, after all you own them. We believe that you should have training to service and made it available.

However, if you don't want to service them, it's easy. Many of our affiliate and demo centers will service your regs, or you can send to us and we will get them turned around pretty quickly. Even west coast you get the reg back in less than two weeks which is as fast or faster than most shops for service anyway. East coast and you are looking at a week.

We also provide service kits when you buy so that in the event you are travelling and there is a issue, any shop can service them because we gave you the spare kits and will be happy to send ANY dive shop the service manual.

Basically Deep 6 isn't a "self service model" it's simply a SERVICE how you want it model.

NO BRAND, no matter how big or well established can promise you that every dive shop will service your gear, far from it.

We allow self service, after all you own them.

Unfortunately, not every maufacturer believes in this concept, and many companies including Apple and auto manufacturers are building access and reset codes into their software enabled products so that they control the who and when aspect of maintenance with their authorized dealers using their specific parts.

Think not being able to reset your phone after replacing a cracked screen without knowing an Apple restricted code. That's how the current models work. Say goodbye to the less than $100 screen repair in replace of Apple "Authorized" service center repair charges at multiple times the price. They say it is to protect the quality of the repair to the consumer - but shouldn't that be the owner's choice?

Deep 6 should be commended and rewarded for their business practices that give the control to the product owner and options for the owner to maintain their gear themselves or have someone do it for them.

Unfortunately, not every maufacturer believes in this concept, and many companies including Apple and auto manufacturers are building access and rest codes into their software enabled products so that they control the who and when aspect of maintenance with their authorized dealers using their specific parts.

Think not being able to reset your phone after replacing a cracked screen without knowing an Apple restricted code. That's how the current models work. Say goodbye to the less than $100 screen repair in replace of Apple "Authorized" service center repair charges at multiple times the price. They say it is to protect the quality of the repair to the consumer - but shouldn't that be the owner's choice?

Deep 6 should be commended and rewarded for their business practices that give the control to the product owner and options for the owner to maintain their gear themselves or have someone do it for them.
Stand Up For Your Right to Repair — The Repair Association

In the beginning ….

About 40 years ago my son was 12 years old. Sam IV had been raised in a pioneer diving family surrounded by divers and diving all his life. He had attended summer BSA camp at Catalina Island, had some time on his hands and needed a challenge. I called the then instructor Bryan Miller (a dear friend but not related) and asked if it was possible to enroll 12 years old Sam IV in the week long 40 hour equipment repair course? The response was positive so Sam IV packed a lunch jumped on his bike and peddled through the then mild Orange county traffic to US divers and the equipment repair course.

He returned home the first day excited has I had hoped he would. Over dinner he chatted about his new found companions in the course by first name ( a family no no - adult were to be addressed as Mr. or Miss, but these were his adult classmates and he was a young adult) He was amazed that he had more dives and had been diving longer than any others in the class- but this was 40 years ago and diving was just beginning to migrate past the SoCal borders.

Every day he returned home with a memento from US Divers, a tee shirt, a sweat shirt, fins, mask and snorkel and finally a youth size wet suit. Apparently the word had got out among the company officials that he was the youngest ever to take the US Divers repair course and they wanted to reward him.

Several weeks after the completion of the course he received a telephone call from US Divers There was a fellow who would like to meet him - could he drop by tomorrow ?

As 12 year old adventuresome boys did and I assume still do he took off with out a word to his mother and I to US Divers.

Waiting at US Divers was Jacques Cousteau who met him, congratulated him on being the youngest ever to complete the company sponsored repair course him and gave him an autographed copy of his latest book. Sam IV was some what impressed .with his new friend Zeek ( JY Cousteau)

And that was the way it was -- a long time ago from US recreational diving's birth place which has now spread to the hinterlands of the US and the world.

Sam IV ? He competed his Eagle scout a few years later, became a NAUI (Life) and PADI instructor, ER & Hyperbaric doctor and is now a director of the local regional hospital.

Sam Miller, III

In the beginning ….

About 40 years ago my son was 12 years old. Sam IV had been raised in a pioneer diving family surrounded by divers and diving all his life. He had attended summer BSA camp at Catalina Island, had some time on his hands and needed a challenge. I called the then instructor Bryan Miller (a dear friend but not related) and asked if it was possible to enroll 12 years old Sam IV in the week long 40 hour equipment repair course? The response was positive so Sam IV packed a lunch jumped on his bike and peddled through the then mild Orange county traffic to US divers and the equipment repair course.

He returned home the first day excited has I had hoped he would. Over dinner he chatted about his new found companions in the course by first name ( a family no no - adult were to be addressed as Mr. or Miss, but these were his adult classmates and he was a young adult) He was amazed that he had more dives and had been diving longer than any others in the class- but this was 40 years ago and diving was just beginning to migrate past the SoCal borders.

Every day he returned home with a memento from US Divers, a tee shirt, a sweat shirt, fins, mask and snorkel and finally a youth size wet suit. Apparently the word had got out among the company officials that he was the youngest ever to take the US Divers repair course and they wanted to reward him.

Several weeks after the completion of the course he received a telephone call from US Divers There was a fellow who would like to meet him - could he drop by tomorrow ?

As 12 year old adventuresome boys did and I assume still do he took off with out a word to his mother and I to US Divers.

Waiting at US Divers was Jacques Cousteau who met him, congratulated him on being the youngest ever to complete the company sponsored repair course him and gave him an autographed copy of his latest book. Sam IV was some what impressed .with his new friend Zeek ( JY Cousteau)

And that was the way it was -- a long time ago from US recreational diving's birth place which has now spread to the hinterlands of the US and the world.

Sam IV ? He competed his Eagle scout a few years later, became a NAUI (Life) and PADI instructor, ER & Hyperbaric doctor and is now a director of the local regional hospital.

Sam Miller, III
thank you for sharing that

Self repair and parts availability are great, deep 6 needs a piston first stage, along the Atomic style, they are becoming hard to deal with since selling out the Huish brand destroyer.

When it comes to Deep 6 making a piston reg, the first rule of Scuba probably applies.

Don't hold your breath!

Self repair and parts availability are great, deep 6 needs a piston first stage, along the Atomic style, they are becoming hard to deal with since selling out the Huish brand destroyer.

Not to be confrontive (really) by why? I've been servicing my own regs for ~ 15 years. I have a mix of diaphragm and piston (Scubapro, Sherwood, Aqualung, Oceanic, Mares). Frankly I'm starting to get annoyed with piston, Scubapro particularly. They are fussier, harder to get a solid IP on, more likely to squeal if something isn't just right, and far more prone to contamination. In real diving I don't see any advantage of them. Diaphragm work just as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom