Deep 6 Excursion questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JohnN

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
So I took my Excursion on the first dive today. I purchased it as a backup for my Perdix and for occasional loan to other divers.

So my questions:
  1. It did not automatically turn on. I was at 15 feet+ when I checked and expected this. What am I missing?
  2. The display showed GF details (surface + something else) My limited understanding is that these are not relevant unless I'm planning a deco dive (I wasn't) and wanted alternatives if the planned stops were not viable
  3. The was no surface interval time easily available. Yes I had the time of the start of the dive + duration, but my toes were in booties and I couldn't use them to count.
Thanks!

So I took my Excursion on the first dive today. I purchased it as a backup for my Perdix and for occasional loan to other divers.

So my questions:
  1. It did not automatically turn on. I was at 15 feet+ when I checked and expected this. What am I missing?
  2. The display showed GF details (surface + something else) My limited understanding is that these are not relevant unless I'm planning a deco dive (I wasn't) and wanted alternatives if the planned stops were not viable
  3. The was no surface interval time easily available. Yes I had the time of the start of the dive + duration, but my toes were in booties and I couldn't use them to count.
Thanks!
Do you have the new firmware?

1. The display showed GF details (surface + something else) My limited understanding is that these are not relevant unless I'm planning a deco dive (I wasn't) and wanted alternatives if the planned stops were not viable
GF's are technically relevant on any dive where NDL's and/or safety stops are relevant, not just Deco dives. On the other hand, for most people, they are just confusing extra data that won't change the way you dive unless you understand them and might clutter the display making the most useful data harder to notice.

It will automatically switch to scuba mode if it's in watch mode (i.e., on). ETA: and configured to do so, but that is the default.

The GFs are the mechanism for conservatism and is applicable to both NDL and deco dives.

Do you have the new firmware?
Yes. I've obviously done a poor job of explaining what the display is showing. I'll take a picture today

So my questions:
Thanks!
1. AUTO MODE under SETTINGS should be set to SCUBA.
2. GF LOW (the first number in, for example, 60/80) is only part of deco diving, but GF HIGH is part of what sets your NDL and is critical for NDL diving. Exceeding GF HIGH is in danger territory, and SURF GF allows you to see what your GF HIGH would be if you surfaced right now in a dive. Some will stay at a safey stop until their SURF GF drops to (say) 50, to build in some conservatism.
3. I think the SI is on the first screen you get from the lower-right button. I'm not underwater right now so can't check that!

1. AUTO MODE under SETTINGS should be set to SCUBA.
2. GF LOW (the first number in, for example, 60/80) is only part of deco diving, but GF HIGH is part of what sets your NDL and is critical for NDL diving. Exceeding GF HIGH is in danger territory, and SURF GF allows you to see what your GF HIGH would be if you surfaced right now in a dive. Some will stay at a safey stop until their SURF GF drops to (say) 50, to build in some conservatism.
3. I think the SI is on the first screen you get from the lower-right button. I'm not underwater right now so can't check that!
Right you are about the SI, yes it is present and now that I know where, easy to get to.

The computer is set to Auto Scuba.

I'm pretty sure I understand GF LOW and GF HIGH (Deco and non-Deco diving) and what they are doing. What I'm referring to is displayed detail similiar to what Shearwater presents with the @+5 and (delta)+5 for current and surface. Certainly, the display doesn't match the current Excursion manual I downloaded a couple of days ago.

Like I said, I'll try and take a picture.

Right you are about the SI, yes it is present and now that I know where, easy to get to.

The computer is set to Auto Scuba.

I'm pretty sure I understand GF LOW and GF HIGH (Deco and non-Deco diving) and what they are doing. What I'm referring to is displayed detail similiar to what Shearwater presents with the @+5 and (delta)+5 for current and surface. Certainly, the display doesn't match the current Excursion manual I downloaded a couple of days ago.

Like I said, I'll try and take a picture.
Regarding AUTO SCUBA: I'm pretty sure the Excursion can't be in sleep mode. It needs to be showing time or something to switch to SCUBA mode when you submerge.

So the Excursion was in 'watch' mode and yes it did switch to 'scuba' mode.

I set it to 40/80 to match my Perdix and it is significantly more conservative than the Shearwater. My guess is that I was close to NDL on my Perdix and the Excursion thought I had a deco obligation and instead of displaying 'just' the NDL, it gave me the full meal deal as if I was doing a technical dive.

I'm going to go to the default setting and see if it better tracks the Shearwater.

All in all, I remain a happy camper and the Excursion is an excellent buy

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom