Deep 6 Eddy vs Scubapro Go Sport

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have both and have commented in other fin threads regarding these fins, The Eddy and the Go-Sport.

The Eddy is a superb fin, high quality, durable monoprene materials and a stainless steel spring strap. It is a fin that will not fail a serious diver. The fin just exudes quality. The Eddy is a great frog kicker, among the best, at least a 9.0, and maneuvers, I have to give it a 9.0. Flutter, well, not so good, I give it a 6.0. It is just too stiff. Travel use, it is a lightweight choice. It fits easily into dive bags. Comfortable, great foot pocket, at least an 8. The Eddy is not a good snorkel fin.

I was estactic with my Eddy until, well, one day I tried a Scubapro Go-Sport. It was if a light bulb came on! Here is a super lightweight fin that travels easily and gives up very little if anything. I had tried so called "travel" fins before, most notably the Aeris Accel and was not completely happy. They just gave up too much thrust and durability was a concern. But not the Go-Sport. It too is a quality construction and materials, though not as robust as the Eddy. It is noticeably lighter than the Eddy in the same foot size and the same or larger in blade area.The Go-Sport does every kick very well. It maneuvers, helicopters, backs up, stops with precision, I give it an 8.0. And it frog kicks just fine, I give it a an 8.0 for frog. But here is the difference, for flutter kicking against a current it just kicks the Eddy Fins rear. It is 9.5 flutter kicker. The pre-bent blade and snappy tip are the difference. Comfort, it is a 10. Snorkel diving, well, it is not a free diver fin but for casual snorkeling and free diving, the Go is a GO!

If a diver is "technical" and can honestly say they frog kick 90% of the time and as well for use in temperate exposure gear (about neutral), go Eddy. If a diver is recreational and has no qualms in shifting to a flutter kick when needed and for warm water, minimal exposure gear use (they float), then the Go-Sport is the choice.

Both are size Large and fit similarly:

Just adding, I gave the nod to the Eddy over the Go-Sport in maneuvering but in some maneuvers, the deeper side rail of the Go-Sport gives it the edge.

My Eddy Fins are not for sale, I love them but for a travel fins, my go to fin is the Go-Sport. All that said, if I know I am going to be bucking current over a distance, just give me the Quattros.

James

I have both and have commented in other fin threads regarding these fins, The Eddy and the Go-Sport.

The Eddy is a superb fin, high quality, durable monoprene materials and a stainless steel spring strap. It is a fin that will not fail a serious diver. The fin just exudes quality. The Eddy is a great frog kicker, among the best, at least a 9.0, and maneuvers, I have to give it a 9.0. Flutter, well, not so good, I give it a 6.0. It is just too stiff. Travel use, it is a lightweight choice. It fits easily into dive bags. Comfortable, great foot pocket, at least an 8. The Eddy is not a good snorkel fin.

I was estactic with my Eddy until, well, one day I tried a Scubapro Go-Sport. It was if a light bulb came on! Here is a super lightweight fin that travels easily and gives up very little if anything. I had tired so called "travel" fins before, most notably the Aeris Accel and was not completely happy. They just gave up too much thrust and durability was a concern. But not the Go-Sport. It too is a quality construction and materials, though not as robust as the Eddy. It is noticeably lighter than the Eddy in the same foot size and the same or larger in blade area.The Go-Sport does every kick very well. It maneuvers, helicopters, backs up, stops with precision, I give it an 8.0. And it frog kicks just fine, I give it a an 8.0 for frog. But here is the difference, for flutter kicking against a current it just kicks the Eddy Fins rear. It is 9.5 flutter kicker. The pre-bent blade and snappy tip are the difference. Comfort, it is a 10. Snorkel diving, well, it is not a free diver fin but for casual snorkeling and free diving, the Go is a GO!

If a diver is "technical" and can honestly say they frog kick 90% of the time and as well for use in temperate exposure gear (about neutral), go Eddy. If a diver is recreational and has no qualms in shifting to a flutter kick when needed and for warm water, minimal exposure gear use (they float), then the Go-Sport is the choice.

Both are size Large and fit similarly:

Just adding, I gave the nod to the Eddy over the Go-Sport in maneuvering but in some maneuvers, the deeper side rail of the Go-Sport gives it the edge.

My Eddy Fins are not for sale, I love them but for a travel fins, my go to fin is the Go-Sport. All that said, if I know I am going to be bucking current over a distance, just give me the Quattros.

James

This is the best summary I’ve seen so far!!

I love my SP Go sports. My jet fins were good but I no longer have the muscles for it.
One pleasant surprise on the GOs, I gained speed and maneuverability swimming at the surface. It was pretty shocking to me how easy I move

I love my SP Go sports. My jet fins were good but I no longer have the muscles for it.
One pleasant surprise on the GOs, I gained speed and maneuverability swimming at the surface. It was pretty shocking to me how easy I move
That's the law of inertia at work. Less mass on your feet, less energy to stop/start moving it.

As some feedback, I ended up buying the Eddys. Now I have a few months of testing. Contrary to what many have said I find them to be excellent for both snorkling and flutter kick. They are enormously powerful fins when used in strong currents and I can also easily tow my dive buddy against a strong current.

However, it is worth mentioning that they do require a little more effort to accelerate initially. When I compare them to RK3, the RK3 accelerate much more quickly and seem more agile, but have a much lower top end. The Eddys require more exertion, but are much faster. It's similar to a 54 tooth gear on a bike versus a 36t one.

I still haven't tried the Go-sports, but I am very happy with the Eddys. The only reason I wouldn't recommend them is if you have weaker leg muscles or some disability that prevents you from providing the initially exertion required to really get them going.

As for freediving, I am sure if I were a competetive free diver they wold not be the choice, but they work well enough for dives down to 10m for about a minute

However, it is worth mentioning that they (Eddys) do require a little more effort to accelerate initially.
If that is the ultimate priority, go with split fins. :poke:

I always think of Andy Davis's comment (that does apply to me to some degree) when he mentions chicken-legged office dwellers. :oops: (due to recoverying back injuries, I'm not doing squats or deadlifts).

Nothing scientific but I did two tanks today. The first dive was with the Eddy and the second was with the Go Sport. I can definitely scoot along much faster with the Go Sport with flutter kicks. Frog kicks also feel better to me with the Go Sport. Maybe because they have a bit more flexible?

Back
Top Bottom