Dedicated deco bottle reg, trying to decide between 2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm trying to decide between a hog O2 deco reg and deep6.

These are currently the only 2 in consideration please don't say we'll X or Y brand is better.

Hog is less expensive as it seems I can't get the required green face plate for deep 6 excursion just the signature. Plus the excursion doesn't come rated for the higher O2 and I'm not sure what I would have to do to fix that.

Both are cold water rated.

What are the plusses and minuses to each of these two?
If your instructor insist on "green face plate" then there is nothing you can do except find a new one!
Change all the O-rings in the first stage(HP chamber) to EPDM/vitron and use O2 compatible grease. My approach on my O2 reg.
I would choose the less expensive option(do not forget the service cost in the future). DIY rules.

Good luck.

Off topic:
To insist on "green face plate" for O2 reg(2nd stage) is illogical. Because only the HP chamber in the 1st stage could be affected by O2 at high pressure.
1. Just make sure all your deco regs(1st stage) are O2 clean.
2. The deco tank is analysed and immediately labelled by yourself. One at a time.
Colour of the face plate/hose serves no real purpose.

Instructor
Yikes. Find another instructor because that one has completely lost the plot. Color coding regs is just asinine and contributes zero to safety. I'm actually concerned that it could lead to a false sense of security instead of rigorously following every step in the gas switch protocol.

If you're going to do much stage diving then all of your stage regs should be interchangeable and usable on any bottle. All of mine are oxygen cleaned and look basically identical so I can swap them between bottom mix, travel gas, deco gas, or whatever. When one of my regs goes in for annual service I can just grab a different one. Or lend it to a buddy if they're short.

If you're going to do much stage diving then all of your stage regs should be interchangeable and usable on any bottle
O2 designated regulators are not to be used for AIR.
All of mine are oxygen cleaned and look basically identical so I can swap them between bottom mix, travel gas, deco gas, or whatever.
Recipe for disaster.
When one of my regs goes in for annual service I can just grab a different one. Or lend it to a buddy if they're short
Your buddy will be pleasantly surprised by your generosity.

O2 designated regulators are not to be used for AIR.
So what? You're in the Technical Diving forum. How does air get into our stages??? Did the Air Fairy sneak some in when I wasn't looking?
Recipe for disaster.
How's that? Working fine for many years now...
Your buddy will be pleasantly surprised by your generosity.
Yes, it's always nice to help a buddy out! That's the benefit of diving with unified teams where everyone uses similar equipment.

(While I'm leaning towards "find another instructor") One option is that most regulators have a face-plate that is very easy to remove and re-install. You could remove the face-plate, paint it, and then re-install it.

Those are dedicated deco regs, so there is no intention to use elsewhere. Addition to that I like permanent solutions.
Tape can fall off as well. There are also ways of removing most paint or marker, if you really wanted to or needed to. If all else fails, paint/marker over the markings.

For marker or pen, isopropyl alcohol almost always works.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom