Decompression algorithms for recreational diving

Are you able to name the decompression algorithm used on your computer for recreational diving?

• Yes

Votes: 102 92.7%
  • No

Votes: 8 7.3%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Next question: Who knows what these names/acronyms actually mean (and what they mean for your diving)?

Zürich Limits, 16 tissue compartments, algorithm subtype c, and with gradient factors.
The gradient factors, and how they effect dive planning within recreational limits is the interesting part. Also trying to figure out why manufacturers have picked up their GF pairs for different rec diving conservatism levels. To learn this I have done some reading including deco books.

The most helpful learning experience has been using Subsurface dive planner, playing with gradient factors to demonstrate how the setting would effect my dives. It is also very interesting to compare rec NDL:s with tech mode using DAN recommended GF 30/70.
This is the nice thing with computers using published algorithms.

Reading Pridmore's Scuba Physiological was also eye opening and puts much of the "exact science" in perspective.

Last edited:
A general PZ+ question if anyone knows. Are all Z+ the same? (or is there capacity for the manufacturer or programmers to adjust it further)?
And can I confirm PZ+ = Z+?

Being proprietary, any manufacturer can adjust it as they see fit. @RonR works for Atomic. I think his post here:

Cressi Leonardo- Too conservative?

gives an excellent summation of the subject.

Reactions: Jay
Being proprietary, any manufacturer can adjust it as they see fit. @RonR works for Atomic. I think his post here:

Cressi Leonardo- Too conservative?

gives an excellent summation of the subject.

Thanks, Stuart, but I should make clear I don't work for Atomic- we are independent developers who are responsible for coming up with the electronics and firmware design behind Atomic's Cobalt computer. I work very closely with Atomic and Huish Outdoors, but I don't speak for them.

-Ron

DSAT, based on doppler ultrasound studies.

A general PZ+ question if anyone knows. Are all Z+ the same? (or is there capacity for the manufacturer or programmers to adjust it further)?
And can I confirm PZ+ = Z+?
Oceanic and Aqua Lung computers, running the PZ+/Z+ deco algorithm, are both manufactured by the OEM, Pelagic Pressure Systems, now owned by Aqua Lung. The first dive NDLs for PZ+ and Z+ are exactly the same. I have always thought that these are the same algorithm, derived in some mysterious way from Buhlmann ZH-L16C by the folks at PPS. However, I do not know that for sure, and they are not saying. Personally, I think Aqua Lung just dropped the P, for marketing purposes. The P stands for Pelagic

Reactions: Jay
It's a good poll... very interested to see the results; although I feel Scubaboard members are likely to be more proactive in understanding such details than most divers.

I suspect those in the computer forum replying to a "decompression algorithms" post: even more so. Perhaps re-post in basic under "Computer poll" heading and see if you get any less than 90%.

And BTW I am able to tell what they call it and what the letters stand for. What all that means is... another story.

I suspect those in the computer forum replying to a "decompression algorithms" post: even more so. Perhaps re-post in basic under "Computer poll" heading and see if you get any less than 90%.

And BTW I am able to tell what they call it and what the letters stand for. What all that means is... another story.
Yes, I thought about posting it under Basic rather than Computer

And yes, knowing anything about the algorithm your computer is running is an entirely different question.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom