Decompression algorithms for recreational diving

Are you able to name the decompression algorithm used on your computer for recreational diving?

• Yes

Votes: 102 92.7%
  • No

Votes: 8 7.3%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubadada

Diver
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I am very interested in knowing whether divers are able to name the decompression algorithm running on their primary dive computers for recreational diving

Cressi version of RGBM in SF 0 and VPM +5. Come on, this is SB. Give us a hard one! :wink:

Cressi version of RGBM in SF 0 and VPM +5. Commin this is SB. Give us a hard one! :wink:
Did you vote no? my vote is the yes. I don't want to bias the poll with my opinion regarding the answer to the question.

Voted after I posted so wasn't up yet. Should be there now.

Buhlmann running 50/80. I don't bother increasing the gf-hi for recreational dives. I could if I wanted the computer to display a longer NDL, but I don't really care. I'm happy with doing the short amount of decompression it dictates.

I've called mine George, so far she hasn't bit me.

...to this day I don't know what my first computer was running. I'll search the web and find out.

-edit-
Didn't find it... But here's a download link to a paper comparing some conputers:

http://www.nurkopedia.pl/images/9/92/Sayer_-_Decompression_management_by_43_models.pdf

-edit-

I suppose my point is knowing the algorithm is only as useful as our understanding of the underlying purpose of said algorithm.

Last edited:
I didn't want to bias the poll, but yes I do. I teach deco theory and algorithm basis in some detail to technical divers.

It's a good poll... very interested to see the results; although I feel Scubaboard members are likely to be more proactive in understanding such details than most divers.

Given how little (often nonexistent) focus most manufacturers place on marketing the algorithm used in their computers, I'd suspect that the vast majority of recreational divers, and probably instructors also, didn't know or care much about the specifics of algorithms used.

Back
Top Bottom