Deco without deco training

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Heh. "Tables".

:D

I think basic OW scuba course equipment requirements now are mask, fins, snorkel, boots, and a computer. Tables are what they sit at when they examine their dive computers...

I don't even think the plastic dive tables are sold with OW text books anymore. (But for old guys you can still get them online if you want one...)

:wink:

Doc,
Old guys cannot read them anymore - the eyes are not what they used to be :)

You can still find the giant padi teaching tables out there. Yeah, it's $100 or so, but if you can't read a 2' x 4' table, then you really aren't going to see much on the dive anyway :)

1+.

I'm guilty of performing deco dives in the 70's, sans formal training (I had good mentors). At that time it was air as back gas and deco gas, USN tables..... these were planned deep dives.

I had a basic OW certification at the time.

Best wishes.

Yep, Navy tables was what we had back then. They told you what depths to stop at, and how long to stay. I hated hanging on an anchor rope for even five minutes, so I tried to avoid it.

I am not afraid to die, but I am absolutely terrified of being helpless. A CNS hit can leave you paralysed. That is why I stay within NDL's.

A few extra minutes underwater just can't possibly be worth the added risk.

Heh. "Tables".

I think basic OW scuba course equipment requirements now are mask, fins, snorkel, boots, and a computer. Tables are what they sit at when they examine their dive computers...

I don't even think the plastic dive tables are sold with OW text books anymore. (But for old guys you can still get them online if you want one...)

FWIW, I asked the instructor at my LDS about this last week. He said he still provides and teaches tables in his PADI OW classes. When I asked why, he explained that many new students don't have computers yet, and those that do have a variety of different computers. I would guess that this is true of many OW courses.

Heh. "Tables".

How sad.

How do people have any idea if their computer is correct? Do they abort their dive vacation because their battery dies? I use a computer, but periodically compare depth readings to a mechanical instrument and time readings to a time piece. I also have a pretty good idea if the decompression recommendations are in the ball park.

It is pretty awkward to plan a repetitive dive profile looking at a digital snap-shot rather than a tabular or chart display. Do you carry laptops on a Boston Whaler or Zodiac?

I am fortunate to have a ¼% accuracy Helicoid gauge (pneumo-fathometer) to check instruments against. A good bourdon tube mechanical depth gauge's accuracy is more consistent than most computers, but neither is all that good. Time readings are very good as you would expect.

I safely dove an SOS meter sold by ScubaPro (Bendo-matic) until decompression computers achieved reasonable reliability. I never had a Bendo-matic die, but computers go dark on a regular basis. The point is that decompression computer reliability is closer to cell reception than a 1950 Scuba regulator. How dumb is it to blindly depend on that?

Just curious about peoples thoughts on doing dives that involved decompression, using a computer for guidance, without having the appropriate certification. By no means am I advocating or encouraging anyone to do this, so don't flame me. Just wanted to know if anyone did this either on purpose, or by accident (lost track of time staring at mermaids or whatever).

I would submit that this is a "trust me" dive. If the computer dies, or has a hissy fit, you're left with....?

I agree with others that there's no real need for certification - but the learning and skills that come with a certification (or from some darn good mentoring) are what makes deco safe.

All the best, James

KingPatzer,

Since when have divers been interested in seeing something? What a novel concept :) Don't need the 2 by 4 - I just bump into what I'm looking at - was it a wreck or a big fish or ... :)

Back
Top Bottom