Deco without deco training

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

advanced diving any level without training is like a do it yourself vasectomy kit it may get the job done but i would not recommend it lol

advanced diving any level without training is like a do it yourself vasectomy kit it may get the job done but i would not recommend it lol
Yikes!

Whacking away at Captain Happy with sharp objects and no anesthesia sounds like a recipe for a You Tube viral sensation! Ouchers! :crazyeye:

I don't know why I bother trying to put in a good word for wrist computers and deco diving. A few mins ago I was trying to download the data for the 3 dives I did during the weekend. The staged deco dive I was referring to in the quote above spits out gibberish instead of the actual dive profile (see attachment).
It seems that in my fury I spoke too hastily. It turns out that this is a bug that makes the desktop interface software mess up dive data. Mares created a patch that takes care of the bug. I installed the patch and this picture of beauty came out (see attachment).

Attachments

• Picture2.jpg
    Picture2.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 73
Looking forward to future computers that are not only air-integrated, but also blood-integrated. A strap-on venous ultrasound transducer continuously feeding back actual real-time blood microbubble data should really help the computer calculate remaining deco/non-deco times. :cool2:

AI sucks. My AI computer failed high and that is the last time I will use AI. Without the complexities of multiple dives, less than 60' you are likely diving gas limits, greater than 60' you are likely diving NDL...

Can I be your dive buddy? I want to perform a spinal tap on you to hook up that fancy new blood/tissue computer!

Can I be your dive buddy? I want to perform a spinal tap on you to hook up that fancy new blood/tissue computer!

By that time we'll have specialized pseudo-inert gas breathing mixtures and enzymes to inject which will bind to the gas like hemoglobin binds to oxygen, allowing diving as deep as you like without any risk of DCS or any narcosis. I would recommend short selling any company developing fancy blood-monitoring computers like that since the enzyme/gas mixture will render the concept of dive computers completely moot.

By that time we'll have specialized pseudo-inert gas breathing mixtures and enzymes to inject which will bind to the gas like hemoglobin binds to oxygen, allowing diving as deep as you like without any risk of DCS or any narcosis. I would recommend short selling any company developing fancy blood-monitoring computers like that since the enzyme/gas mixture will render the concept of dive computers completely moot.

Gas-binding enzymes are an intriguing idea, but before we get those, I think we'll all be breathing oxygenated liquid ala the The Abyss, and ignoring DCS and all those pesky pressurized-gas-related problems altogether - which would also obviate computers. Sounds like the biggest remaining problem isn't oxygenation of tissue, but rather the effective removal of CO2.

The exciting thing is, much of this is real and research is ongoing. From that first study, for example, there is this promising anecdote: "Kylstra et al. (1967) reported that a fluorocarbon-breathing mouse survived uniform compression to 100 atm for 30 sec; it was decompressed in 3 sec, resumed air breathing, and was alive and in apparent good health 1 month after the experiment. Such a rate of decompression is equivalent to surfacing from 3300 fsw (1000 m) underwater at a vertical speed of 700 mph (1200 km/hr) without signs of decompression sickness."

To paraphrase the illustrious Dr. Emmett Brown, "Ascent alarms? Where we're going, we don't need ascent alarms!" :cool2:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom