Deco with too less air, options from the book

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

just read a book and beside the other option, of getting a other tank, taking o2 etc....
If you have for any reason (don't want to discuss why this shouldn't happen...) not enough air for your deco where to cut??

The book I read tells...don't cut the time on the deeper stops, as that might be harmful for brain and nerves. While missing the upper stops is less harmful.

For me that's very surprising. My first idea would be to think that everywhere are safety margins and cut on them.

What do you think, or what does some software tell?

Well I read a small article on deep stops vs a normal stop in Alert Diver. Only a short side bar article about research that said divers who did deep stops had more of a chance for DCS than those who did shallower safety stops. I think they were talking about NDL diving. Anyone remember reading this? I was surprised at what the article inferred as I have a Vytec DS computer which has me wondering about using the deep stop option.

Deep Stops are different than the "deeper stops" mentioned by the OP.

Deep Stops (Pyle Stops, WKPP Stops) are 1/2 max depth stops for 1-2 minutes.

In this case.... the OP was talking about DEEPER Decompression stops, like (for example) the 40' stop, vs the 10' stop. :)

Jesus Christ !!! A lot of you guy know how to suck the fun out of a sport !!!

I don't think John Chatterton was going to do any of those things.

If RD wasn't discussed on the internet as in here's how "we" do it people like KR wouldn't get bent or rather he would get bent but couldn't blame it on RD.

Most of this thread is goading people into admitting that they don't understand every detail of RD. However, those not understanding it entirely (except for KR) aren't pretending to use it either. Again, I was just wondering why some are pushing RD so hard. This response to my question. Odd question. The response to someone who doesn't like the math. Weird.

If you go to a party where there is alcohol the host usually isn't pushing it one way or the other. If the host is an alcoholic then it suddenly becomes imperative that everyone have a drink to have a good time because that's how 'we" do it when 'we" have a party.

Your comment reminds me of comments by people who refuse to take responsiblity for their own actions. They would much rather blame someone else for their mistakes. In the case of KR, he did not bother to learn RD and yet you are prepared to blame someone else who has been talking about it on the internet. Who in their right mind bothers to put themselves in harms way based on something they simply learned on the internet? You have got to be kidding me if you are suggesting that KR was bent because RD was not explained correctly on the internet.

I am pretty sure I can speak for all those posters on this thread who do understand, use and have used RD and who your post was directed to. Not one of them care if you use RD or not. Really. No one is pushing you to use it. Really. No one has any vested interest in RD. Learn it and use it if you want, or don't. I don't think anyone here cares.

Your comment reminds me of comments by people who refuse to take responsiblity for their own actions. They would much rather blame someone else for their mistakes. In the case of KR, he did not bother to learn RD and yet you are prepared to blame someone else who has been talking about it on the internet. Who in their right mind bothers to put themselves in harms way based on something they simply learned on the internet? You have got to be kidding me if you are suggesting that KR was bent because RD was not explained correctly on the internet.

I am pretty sure I can speak for all those posters on this thread who do understand, use and have used RD and who your post was directed to. Not one of them care if you use RD or not. Really. No one is pushing you to use it. Really. No one has any vested interest in RD. Learn it and use it if you want, or don't. I don't think anyone here cares.

I'm not refusing to take responsibility for my actions. I didn't bring up KR and I said that he would have the same problems even if he hadn't heard of RD. I mentioned KR only because a poster said that RD was being discussed so that there was no misinformation, so that people like KR wouldn't exist (giving RD a bad name). In the early days every time someone asked a GUE question they were told go take a class. It can't be explained on the internet. Now it's different I guess.

You're making the classic mistake made on here so often. You read any post that isn't in total agreement with what you "believe" and you read it in the worse possible light. The conclusions you have drawn regarding my post are ridiculous.

Last edited:
Does any in-water decompression computer tell you whether you have enough gas to extend a dive?

Rather, I assume that, like Ratio Deco, whatever method you use to compute deco obligation, you also have to account for what gases you have.

You are right computers will not do this either and I never advocated using one. I cut tables sometimes up to five for one dive. The longest BT would be the limit of my gas supply with whatever safety margin I feel that dive needs.

Please cut & paste my direct posted statement where you say I refused to take responsibility, blame someone else, or did not bother to learn Ratio Deco formally in a class/seminar setting . . . otherwise you will preface your post as "In My Opinion" each and everytime you post something contrary to what was objectively reported. . .

Bismark and all other detractors -- I really don't care about your mistaken premise & conclusions. When they start becoming more frequent and off-base however, then I start thinking about libelous intent on your part.

[MODs take note and Consider that a Warning . . .]

Sincerely,
"KR"

Please cut & paste my direct posted statement where you say I refused to take responsibility, blame someone else, or did not bother to learn Ratio Deco formally in a class/seminar setting . . . otherwise you will preface your post as "In My Opinion" each and everytime you post something contrary to what was objectively reported. . .

Bismark and all other detractors -- I really don't care about your mistaken premise & conclusions. When they start becoming more frequent and off-base however, then I start thinking about libelous intent on your part.

[MODs take note and Consider that a Warning . . .]

Sincerely,
"KR"
LOL..Whatever.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom