Deco tanks labels?/Backgas labels?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wunat

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
What are the standard practices (where and what) in labelling deco tanks? MOD? Gas mixes?

How about backgas? Do we label them with diver names?

Thanks a ton!!!

wunat:
What are the standard practices (where and what) in labelling deco tanks? MOD? Gas mixes?

Thanks a ton!!!
Deco (and stage) tanks: MOD, name, and temporary (duct tape) sticker with results of analysis. MOD should be the largest one, clearly identifing the tank, big letters, upper part of tank, written in normal tank orientation. Name (or initials) should be written in small leters, lower part of tank in order not to distract attention of MOD.

Backgas: name, and temporary (duct tape) sticker with results of analysis.

Basically, name is used to differentiate equipment on dry - too much similar equipment :)

wunat:
Deco tanks are marked with MOD, diver's name, and analysis. MOD is on both sides of the tank in 3" (8 cm) high letters, and oriented so that it is readable from either side when the bottle is in use. Imperial or metric markings may be used, but must be consistent throughout all bottles used by the team. No other stickers or labels should be visible. Gas analysis stickers are left on until after final analysis, just before the bottle is used.

wunat:
Back gas is labeled with the diver's name and analysis only. No MOD is necessary, as back tanks are assumed to contain bottom mix, which should be breathable at any depth on the dive (hypoxic mixes are an exception, but that's not an issue for most people).

Here are some links with additional info:
This topic is also covered pretty well in Dress for Success by Dan MacKay, which can be ordered directly from the GUE website.

I also remember someone saying that on the deco tank the label that points to you on the tank when it is clipped off needs to be pretty high on the tank so you can see it with out unclipping it. Also it is the divers choice on whether to make this label vertical or horizontal.

Question though: What is the marking for 100%? Is it 20'/3m or is it OXY?

KMD:
I also remember someone saying that on the deco tank the label that points to you on the tank when it is clipped off needs to be pretty high on the tank so you can see it with out unclipping it.
I actually put both of mine that way (one on each side). The MOD labels are just below the shoulder of the tank, right where the side starts to flatten out. I believe the "standard" is for both MOD labels to be aligned with the horizontal axis of the tank, and that is how mine are affixed. This works a lot better for MODs with 3 digits (120, 190, etc). With this placement, you just need to be careful that the second retaining band (if you use one) doesn't cover anything up.

I also put my name on the "right" side of the tank, where it is visible to me, but not my buddy. I figure my buddy will be most concerned that I am breathing the correct mix for the depth, so the less clutter on the side that faces him, the better. I am concerned about both MOD and ensuring that I get "my" tank, so this allows me to easily verify both of those before picking the tank up. I don't know that this placement for the name is recommended or standard, however - it's just what I do.

KMD:
Question though: What is the marking for 100%? Is it 20'/3m or is it OXY?
In the Imperial system (feet/PSI), O2 is labeled with MOD (20 ft) and in addition, the word "OXYGEN" is placed on the tank. This is to prevent confusing it with 120 gas if a retaining strap happens to cover the "1". In the Metric system (meters/bar), the MOD for O2 is 6, so technically, no additional wording should be required - I don't think it's a violation of any "rule" to label it as OXYGEN, though.

DIR-Atlanta:
In the Imperial system (feet/PSI), O2 is labeled with MOD (20 ft) and in addition, the word "OXYGEN" is placed on the tank. This is to prevent confusing it with 120 gas if a retaining strap happens to cover the "1". In the Metric system (meters/bar), the MOD for O2 is 6, so technically, no additional wording should be required - I don't think it's a violation of any "rule" to label it as OXYGEN, though.

Even in the Metric system the word OXYGEN is required on the O2 bottle. It avoids it being mistaken for a 36m Bottle (35/25 deco gas) and keeps the same standard regardless of the units.

HTH
John

johnkendall:
Even in the Metric system the word OXYGEN is required on the O2 bottle. It avoids it being mistaken for a 36m Bottle (35/25 deco gas) and keeps the same standard regardless of the units.
I was trying to think if 6m could be confused with anything else, but must have missed 36m (which is 120 ft). I don't dive very often with people outside the US, so I guess I am a little rusty with my "metric math". It's kind of funny that the same depth causes the same exact potential for confusion in both systems (i.e. covering the first digit).

I agree on the standardization issue with OXYGEN labeling. IMO, that is a compelling enough reason to mandate inclusion of the wording, even without the 6m vs 36m issue.

DIR-Atlanta:
I was trying to think if 6m could be confused with anything else, but must have missed 36m (which is 120 ft). I don't dive very often with people outside the US, so I guess I am a little rusty with my "metric math". It's kind of funny that the same depth causes the same exact potential for confusion in both systems (i.e. covering the first digit).

I agree on the standardization issue with OXYGEN labeling. IMO, that is a compelling enough reason to mandate inclusion of the wording, even without the 6m vs 36m issue.

Yeah, Standards are good. Now all we need to do is standardise everything Metric and it'll be a lot easier :)

M - ft is fairly easy, it's all the nonsense of cuFt that really muddles us europeans. :confused:

John

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom