Deco tank SPG ** POLL **

Do you use a SPG on your 100% O2 Deco tank?

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

And according to you, these guys don't use SPG's on their deco bottles either right? They are also blind to the bubble trail? They don't check on each other once in a while during the dive? I think you and your diving buddies have bigger problems than losing gas! :shakehead:

They weren't my buddies. Rule 1 and all that.

Actually I know how to do the whole quote thingy, but I didn't feel your ignorant answers were worth the time for me to copy and paste.

And yet I am worth the time to do colours. Thank you for honouring me so.

And I apologize if I'm not as techy as you, I tend to spend my time diving in the WATER, not cyberdiving on my computer while sitting in my mother's basement and playing Warcraft. :lotsalove:

Me- .24 posts per day. You- 1.48 posts per day.

Am I the only one who finds these things hard to read? Yes, I have old, tired-out eyes, but still, it's pretty small.

I too like the button gauges.
p_gauges_ponybottle3.jpg

Please enlighten me what difference it makes at 20 ft whether you know how much o2 is in your tank? Is there anything you can do about it? Do you normally breathe your o2 down till your tank is empty? do you not follow your own gas plan in case of lost deco gas?

Hmm, I suppose it's possible to think up a few unlikely scenarios where an SPG on the O2 would help (e.g. in the event of buddy separation or if both your and your buddy's tanks are unexpectedly low), but even then you'd need support divers to sort the problem out.

Since SPGs aren't really a point of failure: ok they can stick, they can crack and flood, and the spindle rings can leak a tiny amount of gas. All basically minor issues.

What does leaving the SPG off get you?

What's the big deal about having an SPG on your deco reg? Oxygen or not? I was taught to do an interruption test when doing a gas switch in the cylinder verification process. You can't do that without an SPG, or can you?

What's the big deal about having an SPG on your deco reg? Oxygen or not? I was taught to do an interruption test when doing a gas switch in the cylinder verification process. You can't do that without an SPG, or can you?
Is the interruption test the one where you close the valve so you can watch the needle bounce? I suppose you could close the valve and when you bottom out the reg, you know you are plugged into that bottle.

It's not a big deal either way. I do dive in a minimalist configuration, and personally do not use a SPG on my deco bottle. Some great reasons (Mostly scootering) have been brought up why you would use one, and I agree with them. As I tie off my bottle at 20ft and do not bring my o2 with me along for the ride in caves, I have never found the need for the gauge. And IMHO If it's not needed for the dive, you don't bring it with you.

This is becoming a good discussion.

Cheers :D

Is the interruption test the one where you close the valve so you can watch the needle bounce? I suppose you could close the valve and when you bottom out the reg, you know you are plugged into that bottle.

Yes - but the valve should already be closed at this point with pressure in the hoses. You do a short purge on the reg to watch the SPG needle move down to help verify you have the right cylinder. This was taught on my Tech 1 training.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom