Deco regulators

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

it's a EU CE regulation. Is it ignored by some divers there? Yes.

I suspect, like most regulations, that it takes something happening for anything to come of it. I am sure some shops follows, others don't.
Unless they have a fetish for pointlessly expensive green stuff, I don't know any fellow Europeans who bother with M26 and all the trimmings. Needless bureaucracy.

You may have deeper stops than 70 feet, depending on your profile, but that would likely be on back gas. You are probably not using a separate deco bottle with a regulator for a mix leaner than EAN50 (MOD 70ft).

Exaclty. I haven't done the course yet, but the gas I will use should be EAN50 or pure oxygen. So I am not going to use this deco regulator deeper than 70ft

No no, wait... don't be sorry just because I do not understand english well, I should be sorry this time :))
Just to understand better, is it the only set you use? If not, can you compare it with other sets?
I use the Mk2 on my 100% bottle.

I have a MK10 (+ R380?) that I commonly use on my 50% bottle but that's mostly because I like the turret on the Mk10 so the hose routes better around my neck.

There is only 1 moving part and a couple of Orings in the Mk2. If you flood it, move the regulator to a different cylinder in the water, stick it in mud, don't service it for 6 years, pretty much any abuse you give it they still work. Other regulators probably breath better but the Mk2 has decades of use in very harsh environments like rental tanks. But you don't need high performance at 6m. Its also cheap to buy, service and O2 clean. Parts are readily available worldwide.

The Poseidon regs come in M26 for dedicated high FO2 use. However one can also purchase the DIN portion in 5/8 quite cheaply and it is very quick to change over. It's a popular choice for travelling divers who may find that there aren't any M26 tanks in their chosen destination.

I am fairly confident that similar options exist for other EU sold regs.

ginti:

Pas besoin d'acheter un detendeur special. Ceux de Scubapro marchent. Si tu veux economiser, achetes le MK2-R195, au lieu d'un MK25-G260. Je ne connais pas le reglement en France au sujet de DIN ou M26. Dans mon club de plonge, ici en Californie, je vois Apeks, Scubapro, Atomic, Hog, DeepSix, etc. Moi, j'utilise un Atomic B2 avec 50% et 100%, sens problems. Tous mes detendeurs sont de marque Atomic. C'est simple avec Atomic parce que tous les models sont les meme, mais fabriques d'un metal different. Je fait l'entretient moi meme, alors je ne veux acheter des outils speciaux pour d'autres marques. Comme tu avais l'idee, si j'ai un problem avec un, il me suffit d'echanger avec un autre.

Oui je me suis entrene avec Global Underwater Evangelists... :)

Ouvea

I use the Mk2 on my 100% bottle.

I have a MK10 (+ R380?) that I commonly use on my 50% bottle but that's mostly because I like the turret on the Mk10 so the hose routes better around my neck.

There is only 1 moving part and a couple of Orings in the Mk2. If you flood it, move the regulator to a different cylinder in the water, stick it in mud, don't service it for 6 years, pretty much any abuse you give it they still work. Other regulators probably breath better but the Mk2 has decades of use in very harsh environments like rental tanks. But you don't need high performance at 6m. Its also cheap to buy, service and O2 clean. Parts are readily available worldwide.

Got it. This basically confirms what the owner of the shop suggested me.

I have to say that I really like the idea of having a set that I can interchange with my others, and I also like a lot the idea of having a regulator that I can interchange with the others... so I have a last question (for you and for everybody else)

Do you think that a high end regulator is NOT a good choice? Something like mk17 or mk25 (I wanna stay to scubapro). Just not consider the price for the moment. I am more concerned about other problems (what to do if I flood it, behaviour in mud, any other abuse)

ginti:

Pas besoin d'acheter un detendeur special. Ceux de Scubapro marchent. Si tu veux economiser, achetes le MK2-R195, au lieu d'un MK25-G260. Je ne connais pas le reglement en France au sujet de DIN ou M26. Dans mon club de plonge, ici en Californie, je vois Apeks, Scubapro, Atomic, Hog, DeepSix, etc. Moi, j'utilise un Atomic B2 avec 50% et 100%, sens problems. Tous mes detendeurs sont de marque Atomic. C'est simple avec Atomic parce que tous les models sont les meme, mais fabriques d'un metal different. Je fait l'entretient moi meme, alors je ne veux acheter des outils speciaux pour d'autres marques. Comme tu avais l'idee, si j'ai un problem avec un, il me suffit d'echanger avec un autre.

Oui je me suis entrene avec Global Underwater Evangelists... :)

Ouvea

Je suis en fait italien, même si je vis en France :)) mais après 2 ans ici je me débrouille plutôt bien avec le français (je croix).

Un ami m'a très bien parlé de l'Atomic. Mais je déménage souvent pour le travail, donc j'ai décidé d'utiliser Scubapro car il est facile de trouver des techniciens dans tous les pays où je dois déménager.

Je ne me soucie pas trop d'economiser, mais je ne veux pas faire un choix stupide...

The Poseidon regs come in M26 for dedicated high FO2 use. However one can also purchase the DIN portion in 5/8 quite cheaply and it is very quick to change over. It's a popular choice for travelling divers who may find that there aren't any M26 tanks in their chosen destination.

I am fairly confident that similar options exist for other EU sold regs.

I discussed yesterday with some friends and they basically suggested to buy the standard DIN, since France is the only country (or at least one of the few) forcing this norm.

The one who travels opted for a standard DIN combined with a cheap adaptor from DIN to M26. I guess yhat's the best option for me.

Thanks for the input!

Do you think that a high end regulator is NOT a good choice? Something like mk17 or mk25 (I wanna stay to scubapro). Just not consider the price for the moment. I am more concerned about other problems (what to do if I flood it, behaviour in mud, any other abuse)

It's definitely not a bad choice, it's not like they are super fragile. Would it be me in your shoes with already having two MK25s as your backgas regs and money not being a concern, I'd just keep it simple and familiar and get the same one again. Might also be a good idea if you want to use it on a bottom stage down the line.

I discussed yesterday with some friends and they basically suggested to buy the standard DIN, since France is the only country (or at least one of the few) forcing this norm.

Usually divers avoid bying M26. New CE stamped rebreathers come with M26 oxygen regulators and it is fairly common to convert these to G5/8 immediately unless local authorities enforce the rule very strictly.
Even in France (Lot cave region) renting oxygen cylinders with G5/8 threads and getting them filled was not a problem.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom