Question Declined disabilty b/c of diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The original "question" does make it sound like he was applying for disability.

Anyway, insurance companies are a dime a dozen. Apply at 5 more and choose the best rate/benenefits from those that don't have objections to your life choices.

I remember answering a similar question as a "no" at the time. I had just been certified, but was not actively participating in SCUBA diving...

As an aside, DAN has coverage for recreational SCUBA participation....

I have a friend who had a similar problem with his insurance. It prohibited scuba, and since he was essential to the business he owned, he could not dive. He then retired, after which I certified him, and we go on dive trips around the world. He has nearly 250 dives now.

Before he retired, his only option would have been to find a different company for his insurance.

Hello,

37 year old man here. I don’t smoke or drink. I’m on no medications and have no preexisting conditions. I was recently declined a long term disability policy by MassMutual because I scuba dive in quarries. I informed them I dive in my local quarries 50-75 times per year and stay in recreational depths. Has this happened to any of you? Any advice or suggestions?

I carry the highlest level of DAN insurance so my diving is covered already.
Several years ago - like 20 or so - I was denied LT disability insurance because I scuba dive. The insurance company was Minnesota Mutual - they have since sold their individual disability policies to another company. I ended up convincing them to add a rider that would exclude disability as a result of a diving accident. I am about to retire and cancelled the policy recently. They never paid any claims for any reason.

Any advice or suggestions?

Genworth Life Insurance Company does (or did, ~2 years ago) write long-term disability insurance policies for individuals who list "diving" as a recreational activity (among other hazardous practices listed).

At that time, for the specific policy, there were no further questions about the activities.

Good luck!

I remember answering a similar question as a "no" at the time. I had just been certified, but was not actively participating in SCUBA diving...

As an aside, DAN has coverage for recreational SCUBA participation....
DAN last time I checked doesn't offer life insurance which is what OP is after.

The OP is looking for disability insurance, not life insurance. They are very different. Disability provides income replacement benefit while you are alive, life provides a death benefit once you die.

Fair, either way DAN doesn’t offer it though.

The question is about purchasing product, not about making a claim for an existing policy.
I misread the initial post in precisely the same way. I had assumed he was denied a disability-claim.

Back
Top Bottom