Decisions on Regs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LynnB

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am looking at two regulators and wanted to see if I could get any feedback on either to help make my decision easier.
One is the Oceanic GT3 and the other is the Sherwood Magnum..
Recreation, warm water diver...
Thanks,
Lynn

I have had a Sherwood Magnum for years (5). I honestly only have had it serviced twice (I meticulously clean and perform DIY maintenance myself) but there has never been a single issue and the techs who did service it said it was in fine shape.

Im also a warm water only diver and can endorse the Magnum with my own experience.

I have experience with both. Assuming that you can get competent service locally, either will do fine as a warm water reg. The Oceanic GT3 (if it has a CDX5 first stage) will probably breath a little easier at depth. The Magnum (as with all older style Sherwood regs) is about as reliable as regs get.

Either will do nicely. The Sherwood is not the best performing reg on the market (not bad either) but is super reliable. The Oceanic with the adjustable second stage would likely be my choice between the 2 just because I like adjustable second stages. The final part of the equation is , what does your LDS service? If they service both, great, if not then I would lean towards the one they service. Bottom line, both are fine, choose which ever one you like best based on personal preference, available service and cost. In that order..

I can get either one serviced here or close by. The Sherwood price from LDS would be $353 as he is giving me a break for buying two. The Oceanic for 2 would run $269.
I don't know that much about regulators as I have been diving with my original US Diver that has been wonderful but heavy..time for a new one.
Two other questions....The Sherwood has a balancing that they say releases air bubbles from first stage??? And the Oceanic has the adjustment..which I am not sure how that works..
Any other suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks for the replies... keep them coming...

The bubbles on the Sherwood are from the "Dry Bleed System". It's used to keep the ambient chamber dry during a dive as opposed to every other reg that has it open to the water. This keeps the chamber free of corrosion and less prone to damage...one of the big reasons the Sherwoods are so rugged. Drives non Sherwood divers crazy seeing the bubbles coming from it. It's the only reg I know of that if it's NOT leaking, you need to have it serviced. :)
The knob on the Oceanic is to adjust cracking pressure- how much suction that is required to start air flow. It's a nice feature, esp if you like your regs tuned to the edge of freeflowing but it's not a requirement by any stretch.

Back
Top Bottom