Decisions decisions, what to get

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

papanano

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi all, I have a sort of dilema, I am going to get a new system and these are the cameras I have narrowed it down to. Sony NEX 5n, Olympus OM-D EM5, Nikon D3200 or D7000, Sony a65. What are your thoughts, pros and cons and experiance with any of these. Thanks in advance for any input.

Friends don't let friends shoot Nikons.
I am a Canon fan, but prefer Hasselblad. But now we are talking real money. all the cameras will be good. Asking what brand of camera equipment people prefer is like asking Ford or Chevy. We all know Dodge is better.

Hi all, I have a sort of dilema, I am going to get a new system and these are the cameras I have narrowed it down to. Sony NEX 5n, Olympus OM-D EM5, Nikon D3200 or D7000, Sony a65. What are your thoughts, pros and cons and experiance with any of these. Thanks in advance for any input.

Can you find an U/W housing for the D3200?

Friends don't let friends shoot Nikons.
I am a Canon fan, but prefer Hasselblad. But now we are talking real money. all the cameras will be good. Asking what brand of camera equipment people prefer is like asking Ford or Chevy. We all know Dodge is better.

Bollox, it's Land Rover :rofl3:

Seriously though, what have you been using up until now?

Personally if I was starting off new I would be looking at the Olympus mirrorless cameras, good value and the housings are pretty cheap compared to housings for standard SLRs, so also the Sony NEX but Olympus has a new 60mm macro lens that is supposed to be very good

Olympus 60mm Macro Lens for micro four thirds cameras | Bluewater Photo & Video

Unless of course you already have an SLR then your choice is partially made, and I agree with Burhan, really, a Nikon D3200?

Don't know about a housing for the D3200. What is wrong with the D3200? Reasons for opinions and responses go a long way in helping one decide what to buy when there are many appearingly great options. I have been shooting an Olympus XZ-1 for the past year and a half and have outgrown it. I am attracted to mirrorless simply because of the travel ability of them but the amount of lenses available for DSLR is significantly greater than mirrorless and will I want to go up to a DSLR not too long after using a mirrorless? So far the OM-D EM5 is the one that has my greatest attention followed by the D7000. Cost is also a factor although the Ikelite housings are about the same as a Nauticam mirrorless housing but they seem bulky and uninspiring.

If weight is a consideration, mirrorless wins over DSLR. But for me personally, I like using optical viewfinder vs LCD or electronic viewfinder, so that's why I'm using a DSLR.

Weight is not as big of a deal as if it will fit in my pelican 1560 case, it is the max. carry on size you can get.

for me, the EM5 is the way to go...small size with great capability and i can house it cheaper by using an oly housing.

Don't know about a housing for the D3200. What is wrong with the D3200? Reasons for opinions and responses go a long way in helping one decide what to buy when there are many appearingly great options. I have been shooting an Olympus XZ-1 for the past year and a half and have outgrown it. I am attracted to mirrorless simply because of the travel ability of them but the amount of lenses available for DSLR is significantly greater than mirrorless and will I want to go up to a DSLR not too long after using a mirrorless? So far the OM-D EM5 is the one that has my greatest attention followed by the D7000. Cost is also a factor although the Ikelite housings are about the same as a Nauticam mirrorless housing but they seem bulky and uninspiring.

There is nothing wrong with the D3200, it is just that I haven't seen any housings for it so far. I am going the OM-D EM5 route myself soon.

for me, the EM5 is the way to go...small size with great capability and i can house it cheaper by using an oly housing.

That's one of the reasons I am attracted to the em5 although I LOVED my Nauticam XZ1 housing, it didn't feel like a toy compared to the oly housing.

---------- Post Merged at 01:26 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 01:07 PM ----------

Burhan, I was referring to the "D3200, really?" comments. I would still like to know why one thinks ot is a bad choice, it got good reviews.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom