deciding which wet suit to take

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Because they provide those boat coats? Yes, we were eyeing them enviously when an Aldora boat docked next to us for the SI. Towels worked okay, though.

That----& they dive with 120 HP tanks........

Any type of plastic bag preferred? Work any better if the bag is wet or dry? Ever get called funny names when using the bag? Ha ha ha. ;-)

I've done the bag trick since day one with my 8/7 semi dry. Can't get into it otherwise. And I have a dive skin on as well.

You want the cheapest shopping bag you can get. No kidding. It has to be thin thin thin and the cheapest ones are. That and they tend to be slicker than any "good" bags. If you have access to a military commissary/bx, their bags are the best. That said, Lowes is the next best. I've used Walmart ones, but they're a downright PITA compared to the others - sticky and thick. I've also found that gray bags of any kind are often better than white ones of any kind - not always, but often.

I use them dry if possible the first time - that's the best, but its not a huge difference once you are wet (ie if you have to strip and redon). Its just the first time when you and the wetsuit are dry that the bag does its magic. Once youve dove and its gotten some compression and you're skin is a bit waterlogged, things seem better no matter what.

I take two or three everytime I dive as they tear apart on my 8/7. That said, noone gives me grief when I'm into my rubberband in 60 seconds and they are still struggling with their legs in a 5mil.

We were there the first week of November. I get easily chilled, however water temps were 82-84 each day and I dive in just a swim suit all week, 4-5 dives a day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got back Monday from Bonaire and the water temps on my computer started at 81 and then went down to 79. I think it reads a degree or two warm so would guess that the actual is about 78 right now. I typically started the day in board shorts and a skin on top and ended the day in 2mm neoprene shorts and and a 2mm top. We only were doing three dives a day as my crew is not terribly hard core unfortunately. If we were doing a 4th or 5th I would have wanted a full 3/2 at least. I have to say the reef was in as good of shape as I have seen it in my 4 visits.

I'd bring the 3/2 suit with a 2mm chicken vest(has a hood)......that would do it for me.......

+1. The chicken vest is normally what I bring for fall back option in addition to my full length 3mm which is normally sufficient for me. However, my GF was still getting cold and she finally opted for a full length 5mm that she uses every time we head South at this time of the year

i'm not willing to buy a vest at this time- for the amount of diving we do - basically once a year trip - i don't need to have every possible type of gear and clothing. i just need to decide on either the 3 or the 5, or possibly haul both if weight allows.

i'm not willing to buy a vest at this time- for the amount of diving we do - basically once a year trip - i don't need to have every possible type of gear and clothing. i just need to decide on either the 3 or the 5, or possibly haul both if weight allows.

I hear what you are saying. I'm diving the Bahamas in April and taking a scubapro 5/4 Everflex wetsuit along with separate thin and thicker hoods. I might be able to get away with a 3mm with an extra vest/hood combo underneath but then again maybe not. Diving 4 to 5 times a day for a week, I'd rather be warm than chilled and the last thing I want is be turned off of diving every time because I got too chilled on the previous dive and need a break.

We've been on Bonaire for 3 weeks and are headed home tomorrow. For the past 2 winters we've been wearing 5/4 mm full suits here. This year we added 2 mm beanies and my wife also layered a 2 mm short sleeve top prior to donning her wetsuit. Water temps have been in the mid to upper 70s (Fahrenheit) since Christmas Eve, and both of us have been cold at the end of every dive. If it matters we dive slow and target 70 minutes minimum bottom time. This year it's been hard to stay down that long before coming up for sunshine. No way we'll ever go back to diving in 3 mm suits here in the winter months.

Water temps have been in the mid to upper 70s (Fahrenheit) since Christmas Eve, and both of us have been cold at the end of every dive.
Thanks, that seals it. I'll take the 5mm. If weight allows, i'll also take the 3mm, but if i can only take one suit, it'll be the 5. What you describe is what i experienced the last time we dove in Cozumel; we kept hearing 'unusually cold' blah blah blah, lucky us. I was cold after every dive, and that's why i bought the 5mm before we went to Hawaii last year.

How much do you think they cost??...I'm talking about a 30 buck model(see link)...possibly the best 30 dollars you will invest in for diving......(heck, a lot of times you can't find a hood--alone-- for that price)-----ie, take your 3mil & this vest & you'll have it covered....IMO......
Evo Unisex 2mm Hooded Vest for scuba diving

Always remember, this isn't rocket surgery you're getting ready for......:)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom