Deciding on what to get for a (very good) reg.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I never said anything about tools. As for John selling the kits...I wonder how long that continues before Atomic puts a stop to it. Especially now that it was point out here. As far as I know, Atomic does not authorize the sale of their service kits to the end users.

And neither does any other manufacturer, with AFAIK the exception of Hog, Dive Rite and Zeagle. Yet all are readily available. The manufacturers could probably restrict sales, but the kits are so incredibly profitable that they do a lot of saber rattling to placate their dealers, who use rebuilds as a major profit center.

---------- Post added November 22nd, 2013 at 11:33 AM ----------

Sherwoods are actually good regs if they are maintained properly. I had a Brut I serviced myself that breathed like a dream at recreational depths of say less than 80 feet. It would pull a little harder a deeper depths but not overly so. Problem is some shops worry about them working. Just not working as well as they are capable of.
Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Exactly. Because they are relatively immune to all manner of abuse, many shops take the attitude that if they breath and do not freeflow, all is well. My g/f has a 12 year old Oasis and will not part with it even though I have offered her one of my half-dozen AL and Apeks regs. I have done all of it's service (it doesn't take very much), and keep it tuned to a point where, when I have breathed it and its attached Sherwood octo to ~100 feet, I am amazed.

I would like to ask, what makes an Atomic or Scubapro piston reg better than a Hog or Aqualung Conshelf?
I like SP (MK20-25) for their ease of cleaning after the flood and reusing HP seat. o-rings can be bought cheap.
on many diaphragm regs that clamp the diaphragm with groovy edges it is not recommended to reuse the diaphragm as the grooves will not match an it will leak. so it means you need a new kit if you disassemble the reg for cleaning.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom