Deciding on what to get for a (very good) reg.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

out of curiosity, what is it that draws you to the ST1? If you're going to be diving many times per week, wouldn't a higher O2 setup be more beneficial? In that regard, wouldn't the M1 be preferential to the ST1 of an Atomic line reg? Not to mention, it's cheaper too

out of curiosity, what is it that draws you to the ST1? If you're going to be diving many times per week, wouldn't a higher O2 setup be more beneficial? In that regard, wouldn't the M1 be preferential to the ST1 of an Atomic line reg? Not to mention, it's cheaper too

What do you mean? Cheers.

One of us is confused, and I don't think it's me for a change. The M1 is mainly better than other Atomic offerings in its rated ability to handle up to 50% O2 mix without being dedicated and 80% (or more realistically, 100%) O2 mixes when it is O2 cleaned and kept that way. Those mixes are essentially only useful for deco, not as a gas you breathe because you're diving a lot. All other Atomic regs can go to 40% O2 without being kept O2 clean, so any of them will do fine as a recreational regulator.

The M1 is a good reg and I own half a dozen of them plus a couple extra cave ringed M1 2nd stages on my ST1 first stage, but it's not an optimal design aside from the monel parts. The chromed brass first stage body is not as sturdy as the SS of the ST1, and the second stage uses chromed brass rather than SS and/or Ti because of the better heat transfer properties of brass. Basically, the M1 second stage trades corrosion resistance for cold water reliability.

Personally, I'd love to have all monel components in a ST1 first stage, and the ST1 second stage's Ti valve body in the M1's second stage case with a cave ring, and a T2x's magnum lever thrown in for extra bragging rights. But getting that built would be expensive and difficult.

What do you mean? Cheers.
(I'm not an experienced diver by any means, so what I "know" is mostly from reading and researching. So please forgive the ignorance if I'm out of line)

I was under the impression that in regards to multiple shallow dives in close proximity, it's safer to dive with nitrox, and trimix on the deeper ones. Here is a study that can explain it better than me: Effects of successive air and nitrox dives on human vascular function. - ResearchGate. Obviously the amount of knowledge here is far beyond my own, which is the reason I joined, so if I'm misunderstanding the concept of them, I'd love to know. Thanks

---------- Post added November 20th, 2013 at 08:51 PM ----------

One of us is confused, and I don't think it's me for a change. The M1 is mainly better than other Atomic offerings in its rated ability to handle up to 50% O2 mix without being dedicated and 80% (or more realistically, 100%) O2 mixes when it is O2 cleaned and kept that way. Those mixes are essentially only useful for deco, not as a gas you breathe because you're diving a lot. All other Atomic regs can go to 40% O2 without being kept O2 clean, so any of them will do fine as a recreational regulator.

The M1 is a good reg and I own half a dozen of them plus a couple extra cave ringed M1 2nd stages on my ST1 first stage, but it's not an optimal design aside from the monel parts. The chromed brass first stage body is not as sturdy as the SS of the ST1, and the second stage uses chromed brass rather than SS and/or Ti because of the better heat transfer properties of brass. Basically, the M1 second stage trades corrosion resistance for cold water reliability.

Personally, I'd love to have all monel components in a ST1 first stage, and the ST1 second stage's Ti valve body in the M1's second stage case with a cave ring, and a T2x's magnum lever thrown in for extra bragging rights. But getting that built would be expensive and difficult.
lol, wouldn't doubt you there. Would you say an ideal 1st stage for nitrox/trimix would be an ST1 w/ Monel Jet Seat piston then? I'm not rushing out to do it by any means, just curious. I'm only getting my feet into the water with scuba so to speak, but would like to get my knowledge level up (and correct lol) as quickly as possible so as I can move in the right direction with my own gear for my aspirations as a diver. Thank you

(I'm not an experienced diver by any means, so what I "know" is mostly from reading and researching. So please forgive the ignorance if I'm out of line)

I was under the impression that in regards to multiple shallow dives in close proximity, it's safer to dive with nitrox, and trimix on the deeper ones. Here is a study that can explain it better than me: Effects of successive air and nitrox dives on human vascular function. - ResearchGate. Obviously the amount of knowledge here is far beyond my own, which is the reason I joined, so if I'm misunderstanding the concept of them, I'd love to know. Thanks

---------- Post added November 20th, 2013 at 08:51 PM ----------

lol, wouldn't doubt you there. Would you say an ideal 1st stage for nitrox/trimix would be an ST1 w/ Monel Jet Seat piston then? I'm not rushing out to do it by any means, just curious. I'm only getting my feet into the water with scuba so to speak, but would like to get my knowledge level up (and correct lol) as quickly as possible so as I can move in the right direction with my own gear for my aspirations as a diver. Thank you

I was a little confused and thought you were referring to reg not gas. Cheers.

That'd be a great reg, though the Monel is only helpful with O2 above 40%...so deco mixes. For everything else--air or EAN or trimix--any reg is fine.

The only reason to have Monel in your non-deco reg is to pad the safety factor should you need to use it on a deco bottle in an emergency during a dive. And for the 'my reg is perfect' bling factor :wink:

Sent from my Shearwater Petrel using Tapatalk

If this is a troll:
Do some research find the most expensive reg possible then start calling around to all the LDS's and find out which one has it marked up the highest, and I'd go with that one. If it's more money it means it is better.
Don't forget to get it fully serviced every year whether it needs it or not because it is life support equipment and your life depends on it.
You should also find the most expensive place to get it serviced because they will do the best job. You get what you pay for after all.

If this is not a troll:
Get a Hog like Jim recommends. They are sealed diaphragm style, rugged, priced right, and you can get parts for them and do your own rebuilds if you are so inclined. Hog even has classes for this.
I have one and I got it with a few extra parts kits. The whole thing was $315 with a cold water first stage, a second stage, and a few parts kits, shipped to my door with no tax and no shipping. I already have several 2nd's to use as an octo and several SPG's laying around. But a whole set up including two 2nd stages and an SPG is still just over $400, and you get to choose the hose lengths you want.
It breathes just as good or better than any of my Scubapro regs.

+1 The BS you might hear about how you can't get a HOG regulator serviced in XYZ is just that. Buy a service kit, add it to your save-a-dive box and any regulator service tech anywhere will be able to do a full rebuild in the unlikely event you have some sort of failure

That'd be a great reg, though the Monel is only helpful with O2 above 40%...so deco mixes. For everything else--air or EAN or trimix--any reg is fine.

The only reason to have Monel in your non-deco reg is to pad the safety factor should you need to use it on a deco bottle in an emergency during a dive. And for the 'my reg is perfect' bling factor :wink:

Sent from my Shearwater Petrel using Tapatalk
To be honest, it's more about the idea than anything. I doubt I'd ever actually do it, short of having a bunch more $ than I expect or stumble across some great deal on the pieces. Just curious as to what would have the most impressive capabilities

As good as a reg is... It's as good as it's last service. I would also find a good lds that can do a good job of servicing the regs

As good as a reg is... It's as good as it's last service.

Which is one of the best reasons to not let someone monkey with it every year or two unless it needs it.

Back
Top Bottom