Deceptive, disingenuous wetsuite advertising -- "Insta Dry"?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Shorediver

Registered
Reaction score
Henderson advertises "Insta Dry" wetsuits: "Imagine...how great diving would be if your wetsuit was dry just minutes after taking it off." I call this totally misleading advertising:

I have been told by many stores that Henderson "insta dry" wetsuits are the same old impermeable wetsuits of the past, NOTHING NEW, and that it is NOT "insta-dry" on the inside! It is impermeable and could not dry on the inside unless you would reverse the suit, inside-out, after you took it off -- no different than any other suit -- because it is still the same old impermeable product.

Stores tell me that if a wetsuit does not have something "new" to say, products would not sell, hence "Insta Dry". Every company does this, not just Henderson, which, from what I gather is one of the better wetsuit companies, per this forum, and as stated by the stores I have spoken. So, lets not get down on Henderson, a VERY good company. However, I would like a second opinion from this forum. Can anyone refute these comments "factually" by pointing out how the Henderson's "insta dry" wetsuit can "dry just minutes after taking it off" any faster than other impermeable wetsuits? :icon_excl

Opinions and comments please.

You might try this thread.

Get over it!!!!!!! There have been claims like this before. Do your research and buy what is best for you. Life is too short to get so upset!!!!!

SWT

saltwater taffy:
Get over it!!!!!!! There have been claims like this before. Do your research and buy what is best for you. Life is too short to get so upset!!!!!

SWT

I praised the company. I was curious: How can impermeable suit can dry on the inside and outside at the same time. :dazzler1:

Shorediver:
I praised the company. I was curious: How can impermeable suit can dry on the inside and outside at the same time. :dazzler1:

It's all about hydrophobicity. The material just plain does not like water so it rolls off. I think in some adds I saw that the suit even comes with a special towel. Sure smacks of a gimick. It seems like quick drying would be very low on my list of wetuit attributes.

Pete

I had a talk to the dive shop owner, who has seen them, but not had a chance to test drive them. His assessment was that it is raw rubber, so the water rolls off. It works as advertised, however, because it's raw rubber, you have to be VERY careful with the suits. No sitting on the deck, no sliding, it is very delicate. The almost require a jumpsuit over them to protect the rubber. Just what we need....most stuff to baby. I try to buy my stuff so I don't need to baby it. I guess if you have the money and want the lastest and greatest....Also, it hasn't been released on the market yet, and the first suits will be 3/2 fulls and shorties...

Jack

spectrum:
It's all about hydrophobicity. The material just plain does not like water so it rolls off. I think in some adds I saw that the suit even comes with a special towel. Sure smacks of a gimick. It seems like quick drying would be very low on my list of wetuit attributes.

Pete

I see in the latest, March 2005, Sport Diver that Insta Dry suits now come with a "towel"! You are right. My dive shop was right. "Insta-dry" is "towel dry", just a lie, a gimmick; Can you believe Henderson would stoop so low with this sort of promotion? Even three Henderson dive shops agree.

Impermeable neoprene CANNOT "dry when you take it off"! It must be "towel dried" with the towel that Henderson suddenly provides. How can an outstanding company play the gimmicK game! They are too good of a company.

I would like to know why they say, "How great diving would be if your wetsuit was dry just minutes after taking it off"...as the FIRST STATEMENT in all of their Insta Dry advertisements, WITHOUT saying that one must use a towel to dry out the inside!!!

I have made so many phone calls trying to ascertain the feasibility of impermeable neoprene drying on its own because of this ad.

Not bitter, just stating the facts. Thanks my friends for your help. This is a great forum.

Thats a good one. Next year someone will come out with a "Hydrophobic Wetsuit". Better patent that term soon before some one uses it. It sounds better than insta-dry to me and more scientific.

How about "How great diving would be if your wetsuit were wet all the time!"

ScubaSarus:
Thats a good one. Next year someone will come out with a "Hydrophobic Wetsuit". Better patent that term soon before some one uses it. It sounds better than insta-dry to me and more scientific.

I'm not defending Henderson or anything but Hydrophobic is a standard term meaning it repels water. Just as hydrophylic accepts wetting and hydroscopic absorbs water.

Hydrophobic is mostly about surface energy like the way water beads and rolls off of a freshly waxed automobile.

Pete

Back
Top Bottom