December/January best diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

eedive

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hello. I am sorry to post a question about what I am sure has answers contained somewhere in the website, but I have literally searched for hours and am having some trouble figuring it out.

We are trying to figure out where to go next end-of-December (2013) beginning of January 2014. We would be happy going on a nice liveaboard, possibly coupled with a resort. We can really go anywhere and have a generous budget. We do not want to go to the Caribbean (we've been to many places there many times) or Central America (ditto). We loved Palau (Aggressor and PPR) and enjoyed Fiji (Naia), too.

I have considered the Galapagos, but I know it is not whale shark season and I'm concerned about that time of year in general. If it's an okay time, is the Buddy Wolf the right boat? After our last Aggressor experience (Turks), we are not sure we want to try them again.

We've talked about Raja Ampat. I'm not sure about timing for this either. Plus, if it is an okay time of year, which liveaboard? We were supposed to go on the Arenui to Komodo in August but had to cancel (heart breaker....), but the dates it goes to RA don't work with our dates. Damai doesn't have room on our dates either. But, again, I am not sure RA is the right place to go at that time of year.

So where is the best place to go, and with what liveaboard or resort, at the end of December, beginning of January? I would really appreciate as much input as you are willing to give. Thank you for sharing your experience!

There is no single answer. If there was, the place would be packed solid during your time frame. You can search all you want, and you're always going to find plusses and negatives to each option.

"We can really go anywhere and have a generous budget"

As Han Solo said to Princess Leia... "I can imagine a whole lot".

Antarctica
Maldives
Red Sea
Philippines (Atlantis Resort & LAB Combination)
GBR Austraila
Vanuatu
Solomons

I am always interested when someone says that they have seen everything that the Caribbean has to offer, especially when they say "We can really go anywhere and have a generous budget". Get yourself to 1) The Northeast Barrier Islands of Grenada (Ronde & Carriacou) or consider 2) Los Roques (VZ) and then Cisne/Swan. There's a bit of Caribbean remaining that if you want to dive something totally different- it only takes money.

Thank you for your input. I appreciate the Carribbean input too. I didn't say I'd seen it all, just that we've been there many time and were looking for something new. You gave us new ideas. I will continue to research those.

---------- Post added January 9th, 2013 at 07:05 AM ----------

Hmmm, what motivates me to dive. I love the amazing world under water. I love the meditative aspect of breathing and watching fish and coral. I love the excitement of diving with pelagic. I love the thrill of seeing something I haven't seen before - at least that I think I haven't seen before. I like doing a sport with my husband where we don't have to talk to each other!! (lol). I like travelling to new places, meeting other divers, who are, by and large, a friendly and interesting bunch.

Does that help you help me? Hope so!

I'd still appreciate more feedback on my original question please. I must say Los Roques does look amazing though. Thank you.

For a resort and liveaboard combination you might think about the Fiji Siren and Voli Voli Beach Resort (Fiji). You mentioned having done Fiji but this is combo we have started to book. Sorry to hear you missed your Arenui trip. We have a trip in August 2014 with underwater photographer Liz Rogers out of Australia. A liveaboard in Indonesia opens up a world of resort opportunities like Pulau Pef (raja4divers). This is another neat combo. Of course Indonesia also offers amazing temple tours, orangutans, and lots of culture.

We would be happy going on a nice liveaboard, possibly coupled with a resort. We can really go anywhere and have a generous budget.

The Pelagian liveaboard and the Wakatobi Dive resort, Southeast Sulawesi, Indonesia.

The Four Seasons Explorer liveaboard and Four Seasons Landaa Giraavaru - it's located on Baa Atoll - the Maldives only Unesco World Heritage site. Anytime the first image on a resort website shows diving with Mantas - that's somewhere I want to be.

Never been to either but both are on my list.

If you are cold water drysuit divers then I would recommend Nautilus Swell's Alaskas adventure. I have yet to be on the boat but have spoken to people who were on it. I was told that it was an out of world experience, totally different from the tropics. Their website would say that they are booked for the season but if you email or call their booking office, then they will be able to tell you if someone is bailing out. Good luck and safe diving!

Fiji is indeed a great suggestion. With over 300 islands there are a multitude of adventures to be had and the diving varies greatly from area to area. Naigani Island is one of my favorites (oh and that was the case BEFORE I became their US Representative and the biggest reason WHY I do so :) )

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom