Dec-Feb thermal protection selection?

What are you wearing?

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

northernone

Contributor
Rest in Peace
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Out of your last 10 days diving in Cozumel (or the maximum you were here) in the winter, what did you wear most frequently to be comfortable?

(For open water recreational dive profiles what exposure protection did you wear that had you comfortable. Feeling it was suitable to the day.)

I can't think how to simplify this or have it specific enough to cover all the combinations (I saw a guy in a rashguard, 5mm hooded vest and 1.5mm gloves with 3mm booties last year) but can we approximate for the poll and maybe elaborate in the comments.

Suggestions how to modify this thread for increased value are welcome!

Cheers,
Cameron

Out of your last 10 days diving in Cozumel (or the maximum you were here) in the winter, what did you wear most frequently to be comfortable?

(For open water recreational dive profiles what exposure protection did you wear that had you comfortable. Feeling it was suitable to the day.)

I can't think how to simplify this or have it specific enough to cover all the combinations (I saw a guy in a rashguard, 5mm hooded vest and 1.5mm gloves with 3mm booties last year) but can we approximate for the poll and maybe elaborate in the comments.

Suggestions how to modify this thread for increased value are welcome!

Cheers,
Cameron

By "winter"do you mean technically, and after winter solstice or is December close enough?

What if I wasn't comfortable? Do you also want to know what does not work?

This weekend I switched to my 'new' 3MM suit from my old worn-out 3/2 (maybe effectively a 1MM) and I still got chilled. I was doing 4 dives a day which didn't help but I was consistently logging 76 - 78 F with more 76 than 78. First morning caught a blob cold water that I suspect had upwelled over the wall from the channel depths. It was 72F which is the coldest I have ever seen in Cozumel.

This weekend I switched to my 'new' 3MM suit from my old worn-out 3/2 (maybe effectively a 1MM) and I still got chilled. I was doing 4 dives a day which didn't help but I was consistently logging 76 - 78 F with more 76 than 78. First morning caught a blob cold water that I suspect had upwelled over the wall from the channel depths. It was 72F which is the coldest I have ever seen in Cozumel.

For my own hobby of searching for cenote outflows, was it possible this cold water was coming from the wall? That's the right temperature for the fresh water of the cenotes.

@JamesBon92007 hmm, I hadn't thought about the solstice... I suppose just the colder months would be helpful enough for data? About what wasn't enough protection, might that be a useful other thread perhaps, or we can discuss it here even if it doesn't show up in the poll? I'm open to ideas.

I voted 3mm full, but I also wear a hood always and occasionally a hooded vest under the 3mm full

Bathing suit & a rash guard, never been cold diving in Cozumel.
I wear 5mm boots, just because I only own open heal fins and 5mm or 6mm ice boots I use in the cold water in Missouri.

Gopbroek can vouch for me, skin only along with a bathing suit. On my way there this Sat for 3 weeks. Wetsuits are staying home.

I visited Cozumel the past three Decembers and my 2.5mm jumpsuit was just the right thing for me. However, on December 8 we went to Isla Mujeres (which I would say is close enough to have the same weather) we experienced one missed day due the port closure and on our last day of diving we were freezing. From now on I'm packing my 2.5mm shorty suit too along with my 7mm hood, just in case. On the boat the only jacket we had was one pocket-sized windbreaker and of course my girlfriend wore that :wink: As I mentioned in another thread I have been looking at 7mm jumpsuits. That might be overkill for Cozumel but I can always use it here in California.`

I have seen divers in Cozumel wearing just a T-shirt or 3mm shorty and they were not cold. I have see other divers wearing a full 7mm suit with a hood on the same dive and they were shivering. One woman I saw was wearing two 3mm shorties and she was cold.

Sorry for the dumb question--I forgot the title said "Dec-Feb."

Last edited:
In mid-late December I was diving my old 3MM full Henderson Hyperstretch, 5MM boots and 3MM tropic beanie. I got pretty chilled some days but other days I was O.K. I'm currently considering adding a 7/5 hooded vest (7MM hood incorporated with a 5MM vest I can wear underneath). That may be a over kill but I'd rather error on the side of too warm than not enough if I'm going to shell out the $. I refuse to give up my 12 or 13 year-old 3MM full suit as it is has been just perfect any time of the year other than winter. Maybe I'm just getting old(er)? Everyone's different - There are DM's who really load up on the MM's in the winter and there are Canadians and others from parts north who dive in their swim suits in the winter in Cozumel. Also, like sea lions, it seems the more natural insulation one has the less artificial insulation one may need to add. I will also say, I don't have nice, long "boat coat" to throw on for the ride out and during SI's. Probably need to add that to my wish list as well!

I'd be interested in what others think of grabbing a 7/5 hooded vest to wear under the old 3MM full. Too much? It seems like a nice addition that's cheaper than a second thicker full suit given the addition of a truly thick full hood.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom